HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 13 Apr 12, 07:22
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Gen. Gordon's flanking move at the Wilderness.

It is Eric's fault!! I haven't got to Todd's Tavern yet BECAUSE, I started out at the flanking proposition put fourth by General Gordon.

Who is one to believe caused that fiasco?

Now it was a brilliant move and the plan was in place for approval during early morning hours after all the scouting had been done and showed it was a correct move.

But no one would give the approval.

Early and Ewell did the same here as they did in Gettysburg. Argue all day while time slipped away for a good extended attack!!

General Lee even said afterward it was a lost importunity. He should have fired those 2 a long time ago in my opinion!!

Marshall

PS: My G-Grand fought there in Pegrams division.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Apr 12, 09:14
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Regardless of whether he was wrong here, Early rendered excellent service to Lee as a corps commander.
Old 13 Apr 12, 12:31
Staff Sergeant
United_States

AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99] AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99] AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99]
Gordon really pumped up the importance and potential of his flanking movement in his autobiography. This influenced a lot of early history on the subject and made Gordon out to be a brilliant tactician, held down by the likes of Ewell and Early.

You should read Peter S. Carmichael's "Escaping the Shadow of Gettysburg: Richard S. Ewell and Ambrose Powell Hill at the Wilderness" to get a different look at the flanking attack, among other interesting subjects. It is included in Gary Gallagher's Wilderness Campaign entry in his Battles and Campaigns of the Civil War series.
Old 13 Apr 12, 14:24
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Regardless of whether he was wrong here, Early rendered excellent service to Lee as a corps commander.
I guess you are right. He did scare -ell out of Lincoln!

Old 13 Apr 12, 15:48
Captain
United_States

cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveAverage484 View Post
Gordon really pumped up the importance and potential of his flanking movement in his autobiography. This influenced a lot of early history on the subject and made Gordon out to be a brilliant tactician, held down by the likes of Ewell and Early.

You should read Peter S. Carmichael's "Escaping the Shadow of Gettysburg: Richard S. Ewell and Ambrose Powell Hill at the Wilderness" to get a different look at the flanking attack, among other interesting subjects. It is included in Gary Gallagher's Wilderness Campaign entry in his Battles and Campaigns of the Civil War series.
Carmichael's article is a good evaluation of that entire episode. In fact, Ewell's performance as a whole was not that bad in the Wilderness (Certainly better than generally assumed).
Old 13 Apr 12, 15:49
Captain
United_States

cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100] cici has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
It is Eric's fault!! I haven't got to Todd's Tavern yet BECAUSE, I started out at the flanking proposition put fourth by General Gordon.

Who is one to believe caused that fiasco?

Now it was a brilliant move and the plan was in place for approval during early morning hours after all the scouting had been done and showed it was a correct move.

But no one would give the approval.

Early and Ewell did the same here as they did in Gettysburg. Argue all day while time slipped away for a good extended attack!!

General Lee even said afterward it was a lost importunity. He should have fired those 2 a long time ago in my opinion!!

Marshall

PS: My G-Grand fought there in Pegrams division.
Marshall,

Your point about Ewell at Gettysburg is nonsense.
Old 13 Apr 12, 15:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Carmichael's article is a good evaluation of that entire episode. In fact, Ewell's performance as a whole was not that bad in the Wilderness (Certainly better than generally assumed).
Gordon Rhea has a good coverage also.

Old 13 Apr 12, 20:59
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
Gordon Rhea has a good coverage also.
No doubt, Rhea is an acknowldeged expert on the Overland Campaign.
Old 14 Apr 12, 02:38
Private First Class
New_Zealand

Grunter is a balanced individual [0]
Looking forward to following this thread. I am about to read Gordons book as soon as I finish the one I am on.
Old 14 Apr 12, 04:03
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Marshall,

Your point about Ewell at Gettysburg is nonsense.
Will you be so kind as to explain your statement a little more on the Ewell thread? Thanks.

Marshall.

Last edited by B7B Southern; 14 Apr 12 at 04:08..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!