HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 08 Apr 12, 10:06
Banned
United_States

Missouri Tenth has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
Standing against the Wind

Spam

Created by Missouri Tenth worked pretty hard on this one. Hope you find it encouraging and thought-provoking! Consists of 5 minute music video depicting the Revolutionary War, the War for Southern Independence, and the impact of these events on our Government and society today. For educational purposes only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goodbye4.jpg (142.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg deadfirst.jpg (146.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Admiral; 03 Aug 12 at 09:37..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Apr 12, 10:35
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
is the War for Southern Independence how Australia freed it self from the yoke of the British?
Old 08 Apr 12, 11:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Well done.
Old 08 Apr 12, 12:13
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award ACG Order of Valiant Honor 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Tenth View Post
Created by Missouri Tenth worked pretty hard on this one. Hope you find it encouraging and thought-provoking! Consists of 5 minute music video depicting the Revolutionary War, the War for Southern Independence, and the impact of these events on our Government and society today. For educational purposes only.
Nice music, not a bad walk thru. On my "first pass" through your presentation, I didn't find it too "thought-provoking", nor did I tie it to our Govt and society today.

However, once I had gone through it the first time, I then took a 2nd pass through and stopped at "text" sections, where I presumed you were attempting to make one or more points; had to think about them. Some of your points I could equate to today, but others I struggled with.

Good luck with your "Blog" enterprise; you now have one more "viewer hit".

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 09 Apr 12, 15:01
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Remember; the War for Southern Indepenedence, could also be titled the "War to Preserve Black Slavery". Both would fit and the latter fits better than the former.
Old 09 Apr 12, 16:13
United_States

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormack View Post
Remember; the War for Southern Indepenedence, could also be titled the "War to Preserve Black Slavery". Both would fit and the latter fits better than the former.
IMHO I do believe the "Preserve Black Slavery" was the political Class Warfare of the times. In reality that war was about "economic control". The South had the North by the balls, not only with "King" Cotton, but with much of the "food supply" the South controlled.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 09 Apr 12, 19:27
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
IMHO I do believe the "Preserve Black Slavery" was the political Class Warfare of the times. In reality that war was about "economic control". The South had the North by the balls, not only with "King" Cotton, but with much of the "food supply" the South controlled.
I agree that what you have posted is what has been taught in the US even since I was a kid, but it's wrong.

Simply stated: if it had not been for slavery there would not have been a Civil War.
Old 09 Apr 12, 19:46
Lieutenant General
United_States

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
I agree that what you have posted is what has been taught in the US even since I was a kid, but it's wrong.

Simply stated: if it had not been for slavery there would not have been a Civil War.
The Civil War was started over deception and misleading lies.

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -

Last edited by B7B Southern; 09 Apr 12 at 20:52..
Old 09 Apr 12, 20:20
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Tenth View Post
http://missouritenth.com/2012/04/08/...inst-the-wind/

Are you still naive enough to believe that Northern victory in the ACW resulted in the abridgment of the 4th and 1st Amendments? Did you ever hear of East Tennessee, of the dissent in Texas and how the Germans were treated down there? Did you know that the South enacted conscription before the Lincoln administration? Did you know that Davis, once the opportunity presented itself, lifted the writ of Habeous Corpus and started arresting newspapermen who dissented the war the South was waging? Have you ever looked at the articles of secession?

The Federal government has made its share of mistakes before, during and since the Civil War, but it's time you stop piling in.
Old 09 Apr 12, 20:59
Major
United_States

mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100] mikeck has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post

I don't believe that is correct. The unions food production far outpaced that of the south. You are forgetting the vast farmlands of Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania. In addition, the textile mills of the north never wanted for cotton. There is more to food production than land...availablility of farm equipment for one. Moat southern plantations grew tobacco and cotton. The latter was also produced in abundance over seas.
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Apr 12, 22:07
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 gives and gets respect [800] D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
D1J1 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeck View Post
I don't believe that is correct. The unions food production far outpaced that of the south. You are forgetting the vast farmlands of Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania. In addition, the textile mills of the north never wanted for cotton. There is more to food production than land...availablility of farm equipment for one. Moat southern plantations grew tobacco and cotton. The latter was also produced in abundance over seas.
Absolutely correct! The North maintained a balanced economy of industry, cash crops and food crops.

The South was all about cash crops only! Food produced in the south before the Civil War, like most all food crops, was most important locally.

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Old 10 Apr 12, 04:20
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
The Civil War was started over deception and misleading lies.

who started it?

when did it start..

seems to be general consensus that the slugfest opening bell would have been wrung at Fort Sumter, but that would be too simple..
Old 10 Apr 12, 04:24
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:

3 points, all net..

about the only the North needed the south for was cotton for their textile mills..

but the south needed trade goods cheap, and since English trade good were cheaper than Yankee trade goods due to a protective tariff which benefited Yankee industry, it was a bone of contention on a weaker and weaker south,,,,

figure the first 50 years of US History was controlled by the south and they lost that advantage.. in many areas...

Oh well,, its old news...was about slavery but also about many other things,.
Old 10 Apr 12, 04:26
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:

how about the War of Northern Agression.
I always liked that one even if the south were the ones who were the first aggressors..
Old 10 Apr 12, 08:52
United_States

Quote:
I don't believe that is correct. The unions food production far outpaced that of the south. You are forgetting the vast farmlands of Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania.
You look at it one way; I see it another way.

I do believe that most food farmland during those times were "subsistence" farming, not "commercial commodity" farming. LOL, I believe the South produced more corn for "grits" than "wheat" produced by "Yankee" farmers.

Quote:
...Southern agriculture on the eve of the Civil War. Although cash crops - rice, tobacco, sugar, hemp, and above all cotton - dominated the agricultural economy, the South also raised substantial quantities of corn, hogs, and cattle. As a result, the South in 1860 was the most productive agricultural region in the United States.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n28661480/

Quote:
In addition, the textile mills of the north never wanted for cotton. There is more to food production than land...availablility of farm equipment for one. Moat southern plantations grew tobacco and cotton. The latter was also produced in abundance over seas.
Yeah riiiight. You do realize that our Southern States, at the time, was growing 75% of the world's cotton. Your statement causes me to wonder where in the hell was the Northern States importing their cotton from.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!