HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 08 Apr 12, 02:04
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanSidorenko View Post
Is this game any good?
That's...like asking if Iron Maiden is any good at metal.
Old 09 Apr 12, 06:42
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
That's...like asking if Iron Maiden is any good at metal.
Now, now. Given how poorly Rome and Empire turned out, he has a perfectly legitimate reason for asking that question.
Old 09 Apr 12, 19:23
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahless View Post
Now, now. Given how poorly Rome and Empire turned out, he has a perfectly legitimate reason for asking that question.
I'll agree on Empire. That game bugged me (PUN INTENDED) to tears...

Rome is good, it's just old and the graphics are outdated.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 16 Apr 12, 16:01
General of the Forums
Pirate

Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200] Super Six 4 is walking in the light [200]
I think Empire would be better if the bugs, alluded to by Wellington, were better-as with any game, of course.

It's also a game that requires a pretty darn nice computer-I can't play it, even though I've had it for a few years! It froze a lot on my laptop and I don't have anything else to play it on. In addition, I have the Napoleon expansion which my brother got-I just KNOW that if Empire didn't work, Nappy shouldn't work. Oh well.

I just play World of Tanks and an old RTS city building game called "Pharaoh." It is pretty fun. It's not too hard to figure out after a bit, however you do need to plan things like the distance a raw material gather has to go to the storage yard, and from the yard to the manufacturer, and then from the manufacturer to the store yard, and finally from the yard to the bazaars. Even with THAT you have to place bazaars near houses. You got to make sure you have enough fire houses, architect posts, police stations, water supplies, trade-it's not in a grand world scale like Total War but building cities is much harder.
Old 16 Apr 12, 20:17
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
I've heard good things about WoT. Maybe you can try checking out Rome Total War? Although I've the online competition is overly-intense.

No matter, by this time tomorrow, I will have Skyrim.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Apr 12, 00:40
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300] semperpietas is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanSidorenko View Post
Is this game any good?
It depends to what Total War you refer. There are conditions.

Rome: Excellent, But even better with the Europa Barbarum Mod

Medieval II: Good, Never really tried any mods with it, but I heard Stainless Steel was a blast.

Empire: Vanilla (No Mods), piece of , but with Darthmod Ultimate Commander, I easily rate it as one of the best strategy games period. Better AI, more units, more historical accuracy, better graphics, better performance (for some anyway), uniform and faction diversity, etc. I have logged more than 500 hours with it, and more than half of those are pure DMUC.

Napoleon: Vanilla is slightly better than Vanilla Empire, but AI is scripted. There is also a Darthmod for it, and an Order of War Mod. I recommend both.

Shogun 2: Vanilla release is good. Darthmod Shogun. for it is highly recommended.

Shogun 2 FOTS: Vanilla release is probably the best TW vanilla release ever. No major mods for it yet that i am aware of.

Pyrrhus Travels West:
Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Britannia Invasion:
Pietas, Legatus, IX Legio Hispana
Old 17 Apr 12, 16:48
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post

No matter, by this time tomorrow, I will have Skyrim.
Nice! It's quite a fun game, despite what critics say. As far as I'm aware, it took a pretty big step in the open world game type. There's lots of possibilities and things aren't usually the same when you replay the game. So it has great replay value IMO...I mean I have 4 different games going at the same time.
Old 17 Apr 12, 22:35
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
It depends to what Total War you refer. There are conditions.

Medieval II: Good, Never really tried any mods with it, but I heard Stainless Steel was a blast.

Empire: Vanilla (No Mods), piece of , but with Darthmod Ultimate Commander, I easily rate it as one of the best strategy games period. Better AI, more units, more historical accuracy, better graphics, better performance (for some anyway), uniform and faction diversity, etc. I have logged more than 500 hours with it, and more than half of those are pure DMUC.

Napoleon: Vanilla is slightly better than Vanilla Empire, but AI is scripted. There is also a Darthmod for it, and an Order of War Mod. I recommend both.

Shogun 2: Vanilla release is good. Darthmod Shogun. for it is highly recommended.

Shogun 2 FOTS: Vanilla release is probably the best TW vanilla release ever. No major mods for it yet that i am aware of.
Don't have Shogun 2, but I definitely agree with the rest.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 17 Apr 12, 22:36
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
Nice! It's quite a fun game, despite what critics say. As far as I'm aware, it took a pretty big step in the open world game type. There's lots of possibilities and things aren't usually the same when you replay the game. So it has great replay value IMO...I mean I have 4 different games going at the same time.
I'M...IN...LOVE

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 18 Apr 12, 00:07
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
I'M...IN...LOVE
I just stumbled across these cool action shots:

Old 19 Apr 12, 06:35
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Rome is good, it's just old and the graphics are outdated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperpietas View Post
Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can call vanilla RTW any form of "good". Setting mods aside -- and I'll readily concede they probably improve the game massively -- the vanilla version of Rome remains the worst Total War title I've ever played. Even vanilla Empire wasn't that bad, which frankly is saying a lot.

The graphics (especially on the campaign map) in RTW are cartoonish. The balance amongst factions & units is awful to the point of being laughable. There are a large number of extremely ahistorical troop types, which hurts atmosphere & immersion. The battles are too short and fast-paced, and are subsequently a frenetic & stereotypically RTS-style clickfest. The voice-acting is generally atrocious, which (again) hurts immersion. And most damning of all, the AI (both in battle and campaign mode) is non-existent.

I can enjoy a game with poor/mediocre atmosphere, and I can enjoy a game with anemic AI. But not both.

About the only two things Rome did right was the soundtrack -- it's still probably my second-favorite after STW -- and the improved combat UI (compared to Shogun and Medieval). The rest of the game, however, was craptastic. It should not have required mods to make it fun.

Last edited by Kahless; 19 Apr 12 at 14:20.. Reason: gah
Old 19 Apr 12, 08:54
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can call RTW any form of "good". Setting mods aside -- and I'll readily concede they probably improve the game massively -- the vanilla version of Rome remains the worst Total War title I've ever played. Even vanilla Empire wasn't that bad, which frankly is saying a lot.

The graphics (especially on the campaign map) in RTW are cartoonish. The balance amongst factions & units is awful to the point of being laughable. There are a large number of extremely ahistorical troop types, which hurts atmosphere & immersion. The battles are too short and fast-paced, and are subsequently a frenetic & stereotypically RTS-style clickfest. The voice-acting is generally atrocious, which (again) hurts immersion. And most damning of all, the AI (both in battle and campaign mode) is non-existent.

I can enjoy a game with poor/mediocre atmosphere, and I can enjoy a game with anemic AI. But not both.

About the only two things Rome did right was the soundtrack -- it's still probably my second-favorite after STW -- and the improved combat UI (compared to Shogun and Medieval). The rest of the game, however, was craptastic. It should not have required mods to make it fun.
So which game did you prefer?

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 19 Apr 12, 14:33
First Sergeant
United_States

For me, Medieval has always been my favorite over Shogun by a hair (despite the latter being the overall better game). It's the time period that does it for me.

Like most here, I too would love to see a Rome 2 where they fix the mistakes from the first one. I'm a fan of the classical Greco-Roman era as well, so it's a consummation devoutly to be wished.
Old 19 Apr 12, 14:34
General of the Forums
Pirate

I've played (to one degree or another) Rome, Barbarian Expansion, Medieval II, and Empire, all without mods. I've never played any game with a mod, ever, and I still hold them in high esteem.

Just my input.
Old 19 Apr 12, 23:30
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
For me, Medieval has always been my favorite over Shogun by a hair (despite the latter being the overall better game). It's the time period that does it for me.

Like most here, I too would love to see a Rome 2 where they fix the mistakes from the first one. I'm a fan of the classical Greco-Roman era as well, so it's a consummation devoutly to be wished.
I'm a big fan of Medieval 2 myself...I wouldn't mind a Medieval 3 or a Rome 2

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!