HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 14 Jun 09, 14:14
Private
UK

scopa is a balanced individual [0]
Bridge at Stalingrad

I now have two German maps from 1943 which show a bridge to the north of Stalingrad, one (a 1:500000 scale map) shows it from Aktowka to the east bank of the Volga and the other (a 1:300000 scale map) shows the bridge starting to the south of Winnowka and crossing to the east bank. Were the maps wrong and, if not, what happened to the bridge?

Last edited by scopa; 14 Jun 09 at 14:14.. Reason: Spelling mistake in title
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Jun 09, 12:01
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Probably destroyed by artillery, the Russians had to boat across, but they didn't bother to try because of German air power, or maybe that's just Enemy at the Gates. But in one of the ACG issues calling for reinforcements from across the river wasn't an option.
Old 23 Jun 09, 18:26
General of the Forums
Hungary
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Didn't the Germans hold the west bank north of the city? If so, I'm sure the Russians blew the bridge(s) as they withdrew.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 24 Jun 09, 06:17
Brigadier General
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
this map is from 1941(it was used as military map in that year,although you will see real time is 1937 ,but in the down right place is note that map is edited in October (I believe) by General Staff of the Red Army.Very rare, and thanks to year 1937 also available to share.

So I you can see,there is no bridge in Stalingrad at that time,however today one bridge exist south of Winnovka(Akatovka is under Winnovka)

But it is a modern bridge:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ge_11.2008.JPG
(image is big,so I placed a link)

other transporter bridge (cool thing) was constructed in 1955 but later it was demolished.

So that I know about "real" bridges,and if you ask me none existed at the time,only thing available were ferries.

@Janos...most of western bank,including one factory,but Russians held out in Rynok,small place on the extreme north of Stalingrad.(coincidence or not but modern brigde is not war grom there)

Косово је Србија!
Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page
Old 24 Jun 09, 19:31
Brigadier General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200] AdrianE is walking in the light [200]
In one of the books I've read the Russians completed a poontoon bridge into the city but destroyed it almost immediately to prevent it from falling into German hands.

The Russians certainly had bridging capability and may have built some in the time period mentioned.
Old 25 Jun 09, 06:56
Captain
Yugoslavia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99] vathra is on the path to success [1-99]
Check this website
http://users.telenet.be/stalingrad/r...engineers.html

Old 06 Feb 12, 09:36
Brigadier General
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400] nikolas93TS has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianE View Post
In one of the books I've read the Russians completed a poontoon bridge into the city but destroyed it almost immediately to prevent it from falling into German hands.

The Russians certainly had bridging capability and may have built some in the time period mentioned.
There was a pontoon building unit near Krasnaja Sloboda ( Красная Слобода).But it is unknown to me if they ever constructed such.

Косово је Србија!
Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page
Old 29 Feb 12, 18:33
Banned
Armchair_General

MuhamedAli is a balanced individual [0]
good work

this is good work!
Old 08 Apr 12, 16:01
Recruit
Russia

Il-Jeep is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi, my name is Ilya, I live in Volgograd (ex Stalingrad) and I know what are You talking about This cableway, was built for service construction of Stalingrad hydro power plant (hydroagregate had been got big awards in Brussels expo). It was transporting electric power for gigantic ground planing machine, transporting crushed stone and concrete by trolleys. At first cable way had been 1 km long and then it was 4,3 km long.

P.S. Sorry for my english, for any more information, write to:
P.P.S. This forum doesn't give me show You photo of bridge, so wright me any way.

P.P.P.S. This forum doesn't want for his users could have new information. Well, You can try to write me private message for get more photos and informations

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!