HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 22 Jan 12, 17:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
Gettysburg and Fredericksburg are only 2 1/2 hours away from one another and if you take Rt 15 you will go by the Ball's Bluff battlefield.
Old 08 Apr 12, 14:49
Private
Denmark

wheelerxx is on the path to success [1-99]
Now I have come a long way with my planning: I will visit the Petersburg battlefield and Musum of The Civil War Soldier/Pamplin Historic Park. Also, I will spend two nights in Fredericksburg, and if I understand your recommendations correctly, I should focus on Chancellorville?
Old 09 Apr 12, 09:32
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
How long are you staying around Petersburg? There are several sites in and around Richmond (which is only 20 min. or so away) that might interest you.

It really all depends on what you want to see (i.e. battlefields, museums). Once you get a final list share it with us. We'll tell ya straight.
Old 09 Apr 12, 09:50
Private
Denmark

wheelerxx is on the path to success [1-99]
I will only stay one night near Petersburg, so my plan is to visit Museum of the Civil War Soldier on the day of arrival, and the Petersburg battlefield on the next day before I drive on to my next destination.

My problem is primarily to choose the right battlefield around Fredricksburg. Based on my last visit to the USA, where I saw Gettysburg and Antietam, I know I can spend a full day at one battlefield. Based on the comments above, most people seems to think that too much of the Fredericksburg battlefield has been influenced by development, and hence, Chancellorsville is a better choice.
Old 09 Apr 12, 12:35
Staff Sergeant
United_States

AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99] AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99] AboveAverage484 is on the path to success [1-99]
Check out the U.S. Army War College Guide to Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. They are an excellent series of guide books (along with This Hallowed Ground's series) and this particular entry will take you to all of the existing spots of prominence at Fredericksburg before you tour Chancellorsville.

Highly recommended and probably available in either of the Visitor Center's bookstores.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!