HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 04 Apr 12, 16:43
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
Okay, I've put 15 rounds through the weapon now, and I have to admit, the recoil is pretty strong. My shoulder's been aching for a day now.

Will look into getting a recoil pad (or two). I'll assume and I'll get used to it eventually, but a little extra help won't hurt.

Hillary Clinton, the Butcher of Benghazi.
Old 04 Apr 12, 16:56
Lieutenant Colonel
Finland

Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99] Tiberius Duval is on the path to success [1-99]
What kind of ammunition you had? Some of surplus ammo is intended for PKM MG, and has strong kick. Normal commercial target/training ammo does not have much more kick than .308Win, maybe about as much kick as .30-06.

Try S&B, or if you manage to find some, Norma, or Lapua, or Sako. They are expensive though (but reloadable). Budget solution would be Russian Wolf brand, though they have steel casings so no reloading.

Main reason recoil feels strong is because of that steel in stock, but it is quite universal for any old military rifle. (My friend shot 30 of my surplus MG rounds with his M44-carbine, while my "Ukko-Pekka" kicked quite much with them, little carbine was way more nastier with those cartridges. )
Old 04 Apr 12, 17:03
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
Yeah that metal plate on the end is a hammer. My Enfield Mk4 has a metal plate too, and its a shorter weapon, but the recoil from that wasn't as bad as the Nagant.

Its not the most power kick I've dealt with. A friend of mine has an old 12 gauge that can knock your arm right off if you're not careful. I hate that thing.

I've been firing Sellier & Bellot 180 grain ammo that I bought from a local gunshop. It was the only ammo for the gun that I could get locally (and it was expensive, but I wanted to fire my new shiny!) From now on, I'll be purchasing ammo in bulk online. I've been looking at the Russian Wolf brand, so that might be where I go next.

Old 06 Apr 12, 15:37
General of the Forums
Pirate

KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500] KICK is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
Yeah that metal plate on the end is a hammer. My Enfield Mk4 has a metal plate too, and its a shorter weapon, but the recoil from that wasn't as bad as the Nagant.

Its not the most power kick I've dealt with. A friend of mine has an old 12 gauge that can knock your arm right off if you're not careful. I hate that thing.

I've been firing Sellier & Bellot 180 grain ammo that I bought from a local gunshop. It was the only ammo for the gun that I could get locally (and it was expensive, but I wanted to fire my new shiny!) From now on, I'll be purchasing ammo in bulk online. I've been looking at the Russian Wolf brand, so that might be where I go next.

try shooting a Ruger Number One Tropical Rifle chambered in 416 Rigby.
then go back to the a Moisin Nagant.. LOL
Old 06 Apr 12, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post

I was just at a gun show that had NO ammo in that caliber... things are getting weird.
The good stuff is running a dollar a round all of a sudden, so getting a pile of the old surplus stuff makes sense now, but don't expect much from it. 149-grain non-boat tail (!) is what you will get. Not much good for anything but speed-drills and practicing trick shots with.
Wolf ain't bad, I use the 200-grain loads hunting.

Old 07 Apr 12, 19:28
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Well I don't hunt, so my rifle won't need anything that will kill a deer or a bear or a moose. Just enough to pratice with, be reliable enough when needed, and cheap enough to be affordable. It'll probably be the weapon I use for defense*, unless I get the Enfield reconstituted.

*Not Home defense. "Other" defense.

Old 09 Apr 12, 14:02
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Mine was still packed in cosmolene from Yugoslavia when I bought mine in the '90s. I don't like to shoot mine, too much kick for an old man.
I own an 03A3, 03, Garand, 1917 Enfield, three SMLE's, two '96's, a '95 Chilian Mauser, two '91 mausers, two M1 Carbines, three '98's, Ross Mk II, Jap 38 and 99, 1909 Mauser, MAS, 1911 Schmidt Rubin and a Mosin Nagant. The Mosin is by far the hardest kicker and the least comfortable to shoot.

The most accurate? The Schmidt Rubin and the Swedish Mausers. The most comfortable? The Garand. The easiest to shoot well? The 1917 Enfield. The MAS shoots easily too and is very simple, but it is not a tack driver. I have the long 96 and the 38, the shorter one. The long barreled rifle shoots much better. Wonderful two stage trigger.

The most fun to shoot? It varies, but I enjoy banging away with an ancient GEW98 that looks terrible. It has a ringed bore, but the darn thing will shoot the eyes out of a squirrel. The Schmidt Rubin is wonderful shoot'n too, but it feels as long as a pool cue. Shooting the M1 Carbines is great!
Old 09 Apr 12, 14:05
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
If I could own only one of the surplus mausers I would probably select a Swedish Mauser. Wonderful soft kicking round, long skinny bullet that penitrates, accurate shooters with great triggers.
Old 09 Apr 12, 23:33
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormack View Post
I own an 03A3, 03, Garand, 1917 Enfield, three SMLE's, two '96's, a '95 Chilian Mauser, two '91 mausers, two M1 Carbines, three '98's, Ross Mk II, Jap 38 and 99, 1909 Mauser, MAS, 1911 Schmidt Rubin and a Mosin Nagant. The Mosin is by far the hardest kicker and the least comfortable to shoot.

The most accurate? The Schmidt Rubin and the Swedish Mausers. The most comfortable? The Garand. The easiest to shoot well? The 1917 Enfield. The MAS shoots easily too and is very simple, but it is not a tack driver. I have the long 96 and the 38, the shorter one. The long barreled rifle shoots much better. Wonderful two stage trigger.

The most fun to shoot? It varies, but I enjoy banging away with an ancient GEW98 that looks terrible. It has a ringed bore, but the darn thing will shoot the eyes out of a squirrel. The Schmidt Rubin is wonderful shoot'n too, but it feels as long as a pool cue. Shooting the M1 Carbines is great!
That is quite a collection. I am quite envious.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!