HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 31 Mar 12, 06:56
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
UK: Five-year-old girl forced into marriage

From: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-7604140.html

Saturday 31 March 2012

A girl aged five and an 87-year-old woman were among almost 1,500 forced marriage victims helped by the Forced Marriage Unit in 2011, new figures reveal.

The figures emerge as the Government considers whether to criminalise forced marriage or focus its efforts on protecting potential victims through the civil courts. A three-month consultation, which ends today, has exposed huge divisions among professionals, community workers, campaigners and victims about the risks and benefits of criminalising a practice that many believe to be an abuse of human rights.

Supporters of criminalisation point to Denmark where three members of the same family have been arrested for forcing a young female relative to marry the first since forced marriage became a crime in 2008.
But critics say that criminalising an already hidden problem will drive it further underground, increase the risk of retaliation and result in more British victims being abandoned overseas. Pointing to the fact that there has never been a prosecution since Female Genital mutilation was outlawed in 2003, they want scarce resources targeted at education, training and prevention.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Apr 12, 08:28
General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500] Sergio is a jewel in the rough [500]
This is one of those situations where I am unsure whether new laws are actually needed. With something like forced marriages I would have thought that there are enough laws on the books which could be used to prosecute people - kidnap, rape, a variety of assault laws and so on. Perhaps it is more a case of there being the political will, as well as the availability of resources, to pursue criminal cases against people. Then again perhaps there is a specific need for a law which targets certain cultural acts - am a bit divided on that question.

But in my opinion there absolutely should be criminal cases - how on earth do you not punish and lock up people who force others into marriages.

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
Grandad, Only Fools and Horses
Old 03 Apr 12, 05:13
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
This is one of those situations where I am unsure whether new laws are actually needed. With something like forced marriages I would have thought that there are enough laws on the books which could be used to prosecute people - kidnap, rape, a variety of assault laws and so on. Perhaps it is more a case of there being the political will, as well as the availability of resources, to pursue criminal cases against people. Then again perhaps there is a specific need for a law which targets certain cultural acts - am a bit divided on that question.

But in my opinion there absolutely should be criminal cases - how on earth do you not punish and lock up people who force others into marriages.
Bang on. Luis Suarez gets the book thrown at him over the Patrice Evra racism thing. He said sorry in my culture this is OK, we said, well not here its not. I don't see a difference in the principle...
Old 03 Apr 12, 10:50
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Hi Philip

According to the FCO website they gave advice & support, though I don't see the word victim I concur that forced marriages have no place in our society.

Quote:
In 2011 there were 1468 instances where the FMU gave advice or support related to a possible forced marriage. There were 66 instances involving those with disabilities (56 with learning disabilities, 8 with physical disabilities and 2 with both), and 10 instances involving victims who identified themselves as LGBT. Of the 1468 instances, 78 per cent were female and 22 per cent male.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...rced-marriage/

I've found a report published in 2011 concerning this matter but not sure if this is the article the Independent was on about. The link to the actual report is within the text;-

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...rriage-report/

Regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 06 Apr 12, 00:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600]
Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600] Cheetah772 is simply cracking [600]
All countries have age of consent laws, including the UK, so just charge those who forced the underage girl into marriage with statutory rape. I don't think new laws are needed in this case. To me, there's no need to debate this issue. But that's just me...

Dan

So much for his intellectual superiority.

God help all of us.
Old 06 Apr 12, 03:11
Lieutenant General
Australia

BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500]
BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500] BF69 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah772 View Post
All countries have age of consent laws, including the UK, so just charge those who forced the underage girl into marriage with statutory rape. I don't think new laws are needed in this case. To me, there's no need to debate this issue. But that's just me...

Dan
Only applies if the the marriage is consumated before the girl is of age. I'm not 100% sure about consent laws, but I'm reasonably sure that the age of consent may even be below 14 in many western nations if both parties are of a similar age. Given that this is all about controlling people (especially women) there is no reason that the couple have to have sex or even cohabit before they are of age to so so legally.

Sorry, but you'll need to find another way. I'm pretty sure we have just or are soon going to outlaw forced marriage in Australia soon. In any case, many forced marriages aren't legal here already because they are performed in jurisdictions & in ways that aren't automatically recognised here. Making this illegal satifies my desire to criminalize behaviour I find repugnant, but I'm not sure if it will actually make it iess common. I'm happy to let my sense of outrage go unsatisfied if the most effective way to deal with such issues is not the way I would prefer.
Old 06 Apr 12, 19:04
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy H is simply cracking [600]
Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600] Andy H is simply cracking [600]
The minimum legal age for marriage is 16 in the UK, though they will need parental consent to do so. 18+ and no parental consent is required.

The legal age of consent in the UK is 16

Regards
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
Old 10 Apr 12, 17:40
Captain
Pirate

surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's a far out, out of the box idea:
Don't import people who are into genital mutilation and forced marriages?

- Radio London opening intro

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!