HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 16 Mar 12, 21:47
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
Terrific book Welly,I recommend you see the 1945 movie with Hurd Hatfield as Gray.

Although I believe Stuart Townsend in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen played him to a T.

I have some books from the library,those of you Napoleonists,tell me if they're any good.

2 called The Age Of Napoleon one by Will and Ariel Durant,one by J.Christopher Herold

And one called Paris In The Terror June 1793-July 1794 by Stanley Loomis author of Dubarry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

A most interesting novel, and I enjoy it immensely so far!
Old 18 Mar 12, 17:29
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200] Jannie is walking in the light [200]
I am currently reading 3 books.

Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization by Nicholson Baker
I found it at the Dollar Store. It is done in little vignettes so that you can pick it up, read a little, then put it down for a while. I am ¼ of the way through it. So far I find it sobering but interesting. It will probably take me all year to get through it, a few pages at a time. NY Times review of it here http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/bo.../Toibin-t.html

The Faithful Spy by Alex Berenson: Good fun read. ¾ through it and enjoying it much! NY Times review here http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/bo...7heilbrun.html I have Berenson’s next one ready to start on, The Ghost War and looking forward to it.

The third one is Aethelstan: The First King of England by Sarah Foot. I have just started it and it is slow going. It is from the library. I can renew 6 times, which means that I can have it for 14 weeks if no-one else reserves it. It will probably take every bit of that time. An independent book review here http://alexinleeds.com/2012/03/15/re...-by-sarah-foot
Old 18 Mar 12, 19:41
General
United_States

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The Rise and Fall of the British Empire by Lawrence James was good, and I'm afraid it might have been the beginning of quite a yarn. I'm now reading The Empire Project: The Rise and Fall of the British World-System 1830-1970 by John Darwin. I'm still chugging along in Mahan, and I've also begun Frontier Illinois by James E. Davis.
Old 18 Mar 12, 20:50
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500]
lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500] lakechampainer is a jewel in the rough [500]
Der Process by Franz Kafka

Last edited by lakechampainer; 18 Mar 12 at 21:32..
Old 19 Mar 12, 00:09
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800]
Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800]
"The Holy Thief" by William Ryan.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Holy-Thief...2130048&sr=8-1
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Mar 12, 19:47
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Just finished a bunch of novels for a Canadian lit course. I'm reading non-deadline stuff for a bit now.

Old 20 Mar 12, 21:38
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Started Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
Old 20 Mar 12, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am proud to say that I've actually read this series in the past 2 weeks. The first 2 books are very good. The 3rd kind of dies out a bit, but still entertaining.

Old 20 Mar 12, 22:44
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Now I'm reading this:

And I highly recommend it!
Old 21 Mar 12, 17:59
General of the Forums
UK

Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]

and still thumbing through

every now and then

Also, recently finished

Which is about the only non Robert E. Howard fantasy story I've ever read (well, I read some C.S. Lewis's when a lad, but I'm not much one for fantasy apart from Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull etc) I enjoyed the Runestaff, recommended by a friend of mine who loves the genre, but I don't think I could read much more by this author his subtext gets on my nerves.
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Old 23 Mar 12, 22:01
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
George R.R. Martin is terrific,just never read GoT I have read Fevre Dream and the one about the long-dead rock singer. I forgot the name of that. Fevre Dream was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Just finished a bunch of novels for a Canadian lit course. I'm reading non-deadline stuff for a bit now.

Old 27 Mar 12, 18:40
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]

Homer

BoRG
Old 28 Mar 12, 05:11
Colonel
United_States

Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200] Greybriar is walking in the light [200]
I just started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was highly recommended by my barber and is amusing so far.
Old 28 Mar 12, 10:07
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
I just started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was highly recommended by my barber and is amusing so far.
I just watched that movie over the weekend! It was a pretty nice movie.
Old 28 Mar 12, 14:14
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100] Silent Hunter has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just finished CS Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Lewis (best known for Narnia) wrote this satirical Christian novel consisting of a bunch of letters from a senior devil to a junior devil who is trying to lure a human away from God.

As a Christian myself I found it very interesting and thought-provoking.

Personal Blog
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!