HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Europe

Notices and Announcements

Europe Issues of modern Europe. .

Old 23 Sep 11, 11:33
General
UK

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Let us examine the issue in detail, then.

I'm far too fond of hygiene in all its forms to tolerate that.

I actually prefer Russian tea, with honey, served from a samovar piping hot, but thank you.

It's rained here virtually all of August and September. I've had my fill for now. Besides, New York and London receive roughly the same annual precipitation on average, so it wouldn't change much for me.

To that I can only respond thusly:

I think that it was admiration of a Frenchman that got me into Arsenal. Besides, "good English football" is for cavemen: eighty-nine minutes of running yourselves into the ground, only to fall into utter exhaustion and give up the game-winner in the ninetieth. The best players come from South America, and the Europeans play a more sophisticated game.

Well, I am a Rangers fan -- New York hockey, not Glasgow football. Madison Square Garden's most famous tenants are experts at making their fans suffer.

You forgot about driving in the wrong side of your car, and the wrong side of the road. How the hell am I supposed to shift with my left hand?

You realize, of course, that I'm operating under the assumption that my ancestors left the British Isles for a reason. Whether it was Armagh, Pittenweem, or London, they couldn't leave fast enough. While I might imagine what prompted their decision, surely you already know.

Hmm many good points. Your still in denial aren't you?

As for your ancestors leaving for a reason? Well, if they lived next to mine there's every chance to it was to get away from them. We have always had a sort of flexible attitude to other peoples property.

The other possibility is that they were one step ahead of the bailiffs or the tally man ? There are many many reasons why a family might choose to move suddenly. Offences against livestock for an example?
Old 23 Sep 11, 12:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKPLACE View Post
Your still in denial aren't you?
Are you referring to that river in Egypt?

Quote:
As for your ancestors leaving for a reason? Well, if they lived next to mine there's every chance to it was to get away from them. We have always had a sort of flexible attitude to other peoples property.
So did mine.

Quote:
The other possibility is that they were one step ahead of the bailiffs or the tally man ?
That's a distinct possibility, to be sure.

Quote:
There are many many reasons why a family might choose to move suddenly. Offences against livestock for an example?
Nah. Had that been the case, they would have moved to Georgia or North Carolina, not New York.

Or they just would have remained in Scotland.
Old 23 Sep 11, 12:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Hi

It seems that the US expected the British to send over some 9 divisions within the first weeks of the invasion. Whereas in fact the British had no such plans and fully expected Canada to fall quickly to any US force. However the one area where Britain would help was in the defense of Halifax and its naval facilities. From this base they would interdict US maritime trade.

The US had planned to make an amphibious assault involving 3 divisions (25,000 men), which it was agreed would be a failure. The failure revolving around the poor state of American troops in relation to amphibious warfare.

Regards
US intelligence thought that the UK could -- in 1935 -- muster and transport across the Atlantic nine divisions? What the were they smoking?

But had US forces moved quickly, they might have taken Halifax before British forces had arrived to fortify the place. After that, it would have been like Dieppe in '42, but before, Halifax would have been vulnerable, very vulnerable. Then the secret base out west would have made sense, but not before.
Old 23 Sep 11, 12:50
General
UK

DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500] DARKPLACE is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Are you referring to that river in Egypt?

So did mine.

That's a distinct possibility, to be sure.

Nah. Had that been the case, they would have moved to Georgia or North Carolina, not New York.

Or they just would have remained in Scotland.
Isn't it Alabama that lets you marry horses? Not planning on doing it myself it just seems like a fun thing to do to the groom on his stag night.
Old 23 Sep 11, 12:58
Captain
Pirate

surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99] surfinbird is on the path to success [1-99]
We all know Canada has a secret plan *just in case*...

- Radio London opening intro
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Sep 11, 19:22
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400] Kendrick has a spectacular aura about [400]
I have just seen it on demand 5. It produced nothing new and it was totally over wrought. It failed to mention that Plan Red was part of a serious of Colour plans against various nations. There was never during the inter war years any desire in American politics for an attack on Canada. The suggestion that Britain thought that it could do nothing to stop an invasion of Canada comes from a review done in 1900.

There was a total failure to realise that in peace senior officers have little to do but produce military plans. Without political support, they are a little like a military wet dream.
Old 30 Sep 11, 11:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I invaded a Briton, many, many years ago. She was a pretty blond from London: she looked something like Samantha Fox.

She was not only one of the best female chess players that I've ever met, but she was also extremely talented with her mouth. If all British girls are like that, then we should have taken over the place decades ago.

Old 22 Mar 12, 14:29
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LtCol is on the path to success [1-99] LtCol is on the path to success [1-99]
Another thread discussed the number of children left behind by American troops in Western Europe, after WWII. If the figures quoted there are correct (I have no way of knowing) about 25% of the children born between 1943 - 1946 had American fathers.
The generation born 1960 -1975 may have been closer to 50% with an American grandfather....so in a way the USA did invade and conquer GB. LOL
Old 22 Mar 12, 14:48
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What was Americas ambitions (in their minds they clearly had some to view this plan this way) that they thought my grandparents wouldn't like so much that there's be a war? Mind you this does shed some light on their political behaviour during and post war...

Last edited by copenhagen; 22 Mar 12 at 15:00..
Old 22 Mar 12, 14:58
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Makes you wonder doesnt it, just what they might have been planning - perhaps an unexpected expansion northwards and into the Carrib?

Old 22 Mar 12, 15:09
General of the Forums
UK

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
Makes you wonder doesnt it, just what they might have been planning - perhaps an unexpected expansion northwards and into the Carrib?
Mind you I've seen reports from the 20's where our thinkers thought France was the next problem?!!
Old 22 Mar 12, 15:14
General of the Forums
UK

Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Are you telling me they're not?

Remember in the 20s Germany was still very much on her arse, Russia was experiencing the aftershocks of civil war or genuine civil war, the only threat on the horizon to Britain's immediate security would've been a bullish France seeking to annexe the low countries and steam a hilariously big European army across the channel! A lot of the 1920s and early 30s developments in British Strategic Bombing theory and doctrine were designed with Paris in mind!

Old 22 Mar 12, 15:35
General of the Forums
UK

There is also a sort of joke/apocryphal tale I heard;
In the event of nuclear war the captains of RN ICBM boats had a number of options should London and thus their command be taken out by the Ruskies
1. Was launch on Moscow in revenge
2. Was something about firing on certain British towns to give a quicker death via the blast than lingering radiation or some such.
3. Was sail to the US and place the sub, crew and missiles under Yankee control
4. Revert to default setting; nuke Paris.

Old 22 Mar 12, 16:24
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
There is also a sort of joke/apocryphal tale I heard;
In the event of nuclear war the captains of RN ICBM boats had a number of options should London and thus their command be taken out by the Ruskies
1. Was launch on Moscow in revenge
2. Was something about firing on certain British towns to give a quicker death via the blast than lingering radiation or some such.
3. Was sail to the US and place the sub, crew and missiles under Yankee control
4. Revert to default setting; nuke Paris.
lol .I beleive one option was to go to Australia aswell...
Old 22 Mar 12, 16:26
General of the Forums
UK

That sounds about right, I don't remember jokes so well

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!