HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
British Heritage
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11 Mar 12, 20:01
B7B Southern's Avatar
B7B Southern B7B Southern is online now
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley.
Posts: 3,606
B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Civil War Ghost.

Looking through websites one can find so much stuff about civil war ghost. Have any of you posters ever seen a CW ghost and if you did where and what was it?
__________________
In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
Robert E. Lee


http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Reply With Quote
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
  #2  
Old 11 Mar 12, 21:13
Martok's Avatar
Martok Martok is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: gettysburg, pa
Posts: 7,450
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
This could open a real can of worms.
__________________
QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

"All mimsy were the Borogoves"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11 Mar 12, 21:47
TomDeFranco's Avatar
TomDeFranco TomDeFranco is offline
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Real Name: Tom DeFranco
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norridge
Posts: 3,398
TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
Looking through websites one can find so much stuff about civil war ghost. Have any of you posters ever seen a CW ghost and if you did where and what was it?
Marshall, I can honestly say I never saw an ACW ghost. And I've been to over a dozen different fields.
__________________
I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11 Mar 12, 21:50
B7B Southern's Avatar
B7B Southern B7B Southern is online now
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley.
Posts: 3,606
B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
This could open a real can of worms.
I have no intentions of opening a can worms. Just a little discussion about the subject.
__________________
In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
Robert E. Lee


http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11 Mar 12, 22:50
Martok's Avatar
Martok Martok is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: gettysburg, pa
Posts: 7,450
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
I have no intentions of opening a can worms. Just a little discussion about the subject.
Then allow me to explain my comment.

Gettysburg isn't just an historical landmark of the American Civil War, at least not currently. It is also the home to a number of "Ghost Walk" companies which, all throughout the year, hold and conduct paranormal discussions primarily concerning ghost of the American Civil War. And they are quite popular, as the vast majority of people who visit Gettysburg for the Civil War history during the day will also wind up on someone's ghost walk that night.

There is much controversy surrounding this, as the "historians" (read: Licensed Battlefield Guides) resoundingly denounce the ghost walks as "outright lies" and "poor history" and "ignorant" and generally a waste of time. The NPS here has an official position on the question of the Ghost of Gettysburg, which is "there are no Ghost of Gettysburg".

Buuuuut.....the ghost storytellers, of course, take a different view. The "good" storytellers in town will make it clear that the belief in ghost is an individual question. No one is required to believe in ghost to go on a ghost walk, therefore each person who paid their money can take from a ghost walk whatever they please. Again, the "good" storytellers first and foremost realize they are entertainers, and are selling a product which must be presented in an entertaining fashion regardless of the belief or lack thereof in ghost.

However, and this is important, the "good" battlefield tour providers realize exactly the same thing. Both the history of the battlefield and the ghost stories in town are products, and a LBG who only goes out and recites dry history isn't going to be in much demand. I have given hundreds of battlefield tours, and I know first hand that the best battlefield tour providers are storytellers first and foremost. That the stories are of actual people and events is irrelevant to this point, history that is presented in a dry, droning fashion is history that is presented in a boring fashion.

If someone wants to stick their nose up in the air and claim "I talk about history", fine. I will make more money than you will.

But the ghost stories are not fabricated out of whole cloth. When a ghost tour provider speaks of Ginnie Wade, well, Ginnie Wade did actually exist. Whether her ghost is actually still roaming around in the house which bears her name is a matter for the listener, just as the question of whether Sickles was an idiot is a matter for the listener and not the LBG who states such.

Which brings us back to your question. Are there ghost in Gettysburg, and have I seen one?

For what it is worth I believe there are, but there are a number of different context from which to approach both that question and the answer. In addition, in my time in the Farnsworth House I have seen some strange things. To this end I will relate one story.

One night I had to go over and pick up a group of folks who were having dinner in the dining room. As you go into the Farnsworth house through the front door, the hostess station is immediately to your left and the door into the dinning area is a few feet up on your right. As I went in two people were standing in the hallway outside the dinning area, the hostess, who was a few feet beyond the door, and a gentleman standing at the hostess station.

The man was dressed in civilian civil war attire, to include a top hat. This is nothing unnatural in this town so I really paid no attention to that. But I saw this man so clearly that I turned to him and said "good evening, sir".

Then I looked at the hostess, and she said: "Who are you talking to?"

I gestured to my left and started to say something, but when I looked again, no one was there. I saw this man as clearly as I can see my computer screen right now, I can still to this day describe what he looked like, what he was wearing. I spoke to him. But the hostess confirmed that until I walked in, she was the only person standing in that area.

So whom did I see? Or perhaps the question is "what" did I see?
__________________
QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

"All mimsy were the Borogoves"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12 Mar 12, 01:40
Checkertail20's Avatar
Checkertail20 Checkertail20 is offline
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
 
Real Name: Coly
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Posts: 3,176
Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
Isn't it a strange coincidence that ghosts happen to show up in tourist towns.
__________________
I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!' -Bruce Baum
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12 Mar 12, 05:56
B7B Southern's Avatar
B7B Southern B7B Southern is online now
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley.
Posts: 3,606
B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Then allow me to explain my comment.

Gettysburg isn't just an historical landmark of the American Civil War, at least not currently. It is also the home to a number of "Ghost Walk" companies which, all throughout the year, hold and conduct paranormal discussions primarily concerning ghost of the American Civil War. And they are quite popular, as the vast majority of people who visit Gettysburg for the Civil War history during the day will also wind up on someone's ghost walk that night.

There is much controversy surrounding this, as the "historians" (read: Licensed Battlefield Guides) resoundingly denounce the ghost walks as "outright lies" and "poor history" and "ignorant" and generally a waste of time. The NPS here has an official position on the question of the Ghost of Gettysburg, which is "there are no Ghost of Gettysburg".

Buuuuut.....the ghost storytellers, of course, take a different view. The "good" storytellers in town will make it clear that the belief in ghost is an individual question. No one is required to believe in ghost to go on a ghost walk, therefore each person who paid their money can take from a ghost walk whatever they please. Again, the "good" storytellers first and foremost realize they are entertainers, and are selling a product which must be presented in an entertaining fashion regardless of the belief or lack thereof in ghost.

However, and this is important, the "good" battlefield tour providers realize exactly the same thing. Both the history of the battlefield and the ghost stories in town are products, and a LBG who only goes out and recites dry history isn't going to be in much demand. I have given hundreds of battlefield tours, and I know first hand that the best battlefield tour providers are storytellers first and foremost. That the stories are of actual people and events is irrelevant to this point, history that is presented in a dry, droning fashion is history that is presented in a boring fashion.

If someone wants to stick their nose up in the air and claim "I talk about history", fine. I will make more money than you will.

But the ghost stories are not fabricated out of whole cloth. When a ghost tour provider speaks of Ginnie Wade, well, Ginnie Wade did actually exist. Whether her ghost is actually still roaming around in the house which bears her name is a matter for the listener, just as the question of whether Sickles was an idiot is a matter for the listener and not the LBG who states such.

Which brings us back to your question. Are there ghost in Gettysburg, and have I seen one?

For what it is worth I believe there are, but there are a number of different context from which to approach both that question and the answer. In addition, in my time in the Farnsworth House I have seen some strange things. To this end I will relate one story.

One night I had to go over and pick up a group of folks who were having dinner in the dining room. As you go into the Farnsworth house through the front door, the hostess station is immediately to your left and the door into the dinning area is a few feet up on your right. As I went in two people were standing in the hallway outside the dinning area, the hostess, who was a few feet beyond the door, and a gentleman standing at the hostess station.

The man was dressed in civilian civil war attire, to include a top hat. This is nothing unnatural in this town so I really paid no attention to that. But I saw this man so clearly that I turned to him and said "good evening, sir".

Then I looked at the hostess, and she said: "Who are you talking to?"

I gestured to my left and started to say something, but when I looked again, no one was there. I saw this man as clearly as I can see my computer screen right now, I can still to this day describe what he looked like, what he was wearing. I spoke to him. But the hostess confirmed that until I walked in, she was the only person standing in that area.

So whom did I see? Or perhaps the question is "what" did I see?
Martok, thanks for your splendid response.
__________________
In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
Robert E. Lee


http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12 Mar 12, 06:36
D1J1's Avatar
D1J1 D1J1 is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 8,257
D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900] D1J1 has earned the respect of all [900]
A cool thread idea and story from Martok. I don't believe in them, but do enjoy the stories. I hope we get more.

Regards,
Dennis
__________________
If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12 Mar 12, 15:44
R. Evans's Avatar
R. Evans R. Evans is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
 
Real Name: Bob Evans
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Salem, OH
Posts: 11,712
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm with Dennis on this. I don't belive in ghosts at all but I do like hearing the stories and would probably take one of 'ghost tours' if I'm ever in Gettysburg again.
__________________
This is a warning from my own hands
Never corner a frightened man
I might kill somebody tryin' to escape
You better listen to Mr. Hate
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22 Mar 12, 09:46
Elk's Avatar
Elk Elk is offline
Private
United_States
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mckinney
Posts: 8
Elk is on the path to success [1-99]
Maybe a long time ago, not recently. I don't believe in ghost anyway.
I think most so called "Ghost" are just shadows, reflections, etc.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #11  
Old 22 Mar 12, 09:55
Twitter3's Avatar
Twitter3 Twitter3 is offline
Major General
Poland
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Brian
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inner Banks
Posts: 2,506
Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300] Twitter3 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
I'm with Dennis on this. I don't belive in ghosts at all but I do like hearing the stories and would probably take one of 'ghost tours' if I'm ever in Gettysburg again.
My brother and I went on a ghost walking tour at Gettysburg. It was at night - obviously - and while I can't say I believe in ghosts; I also have no proof that they don't exist either.

At any rate, the tour was worth the few dollars and my brother scared the hell out of me during one of the stories. Something he still laughs at when we get together...
__________________
"War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
-- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29 Mar 12, 12:32
jimrada's Avatar
jimrada jimrada is offline
Private
United_States
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 5
jimrada is on the path to success [1-99]
I live in Gettysburg and judging by all of the tours and places they take you for ghost sightings, there might be as many ghostly residents of the town as living. I took my mother on one of the tours. We didn't see any of the ghosts, but we did hear some great stories. I do know someone who works at the Cashtown Inn, though, and he says that he has heard some odd sounds there late at night. He hasn't seen anything and that is supposed to be heavily haunted, too.

Jim Rada
Author of Battlefield Angels: The Daughters of Charity Work as Civil War Nurses
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29 Mar 12, 13:00
Martok's Avatar
Martok Martok is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: gettysburg, pa
Posts: 7,450
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Martok has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I read that book.

Too bad Boroughvent went down, used to have some good conversations on there concerning this subject.
__________________
QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

"All mimsy were the Borogoves"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29 Mar 12, 13:28
101combatvet's Avatar
101combatvet 101combatvet is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Shooter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC, Chesapeake Bay or Lima
Posts: 8,358
101combatvet is simply cracking [600]
101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600] 101combatvet is simply cracking [600]
I guess I am a believer but I have never seen a ghost. Been to Gettysburg hundreds of times and have even walked part of the field at night.... nothing.

I have also stayed at the Cashtown in.... nothing.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29 Mar 12, 13:44
Half Pint John's Avatar
Half Pint John Half Pint John is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
 
Real Name: John "The HUMBLE"
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Stuttgart Germany
Posts: 36,408
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Ghost na! My lats visit to Gettysburg I had the angel all to myself on a fine summer day. I sat for a good while and stared out across to the Confederate lines and sort of lost myself in time and space in the then quite place. Maybe not ghost but feeling the history that took place there and all the life's that were changed there in a small part of time all those long years ago.
__________________
"Ask not what your country can do for you"

FB 327 th ASD/ADD 165th Avn Grp RVN

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:45.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.