HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 29 Feb 12, 00:04
Lance Corporal
United_States

Mwschel is on the path to success [1-99]
I regret to say that I don't know of a single source that addresses Clinton's 1777 expedition. "Saratoga" by Richard Ketchum covers the events in general and puts them in context, but Burgoyne is Ketchum's focus. Clinton himself goes into them in some detail in his memoir, "The American Rebellion," but of course, that's just Clinton's take. For detailed tactical stuff I often turn to "A Battlefield Atlas of the American Revolution," by Craig L. Symonds. If you can find it in a library, it gives some detail about the American and British moves at each Hudson fort.

If anybody else knows a good source, I'd be interested in it too!
Old 29 Feb 12, 06:31
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwschel View Post
I regret to say that I don't know of a single source that addresses Clinton's 1777 expedition. "Saratoga" by Richard Ketchum covers the events in general and puts them in context, but Burgoyne is Ketchum's focus. Clinton himself goes into them in some detail in his memoir, "The American Rebellion," but of course, that's just Clinton's take. For detailed tactical stuff I often turn to "A Battlefield Atlas of the American Revolution," by Craig L. Symonds. If you can find it in a library, it gives some detail about the American and British moves at each Hudson fort.

If anybody else knows a good source, I'd be interested in it too!
I looked in both books you mentioned (I had already checked the Ketchum book). Not terribly impressed with any detail on the assaults. Another friend indicated there was a trial for cowardice at the battle of one Joshua Barns of Emmerick's Chasseurs. His trial transcript may have some detail concerning the actual fighting. However, I have no idea how to get a transcript of that event. If only I lived in the NY area.

I went ahead and ordered a book on Saratoga mentioned previously by Massena. Don't know if it will have anything or not.
Old 29 Feb 12, 10:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
If only I lived in the NY area.
Just try to walk from Lake Champlain to Albany in early summer and the black flies will have you drained of all your blood before you reach the town of Lake George. That's how I know that Burgoyne pumped the pooch: his Mohawk guides would have warned him of the difficulty of his route. Instead he dallied.

Try the state library in Albany. They have a very extensive collection of documents and other materials from that period.
Old 29 Feb 12, 11:12
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Just try to walk from Lake Champlain to Albany in early summer and the black flies will have you drained of all your blood before you reach the town of Lake George. That's how I know that Burgoyne pumped the pooch: his Mohawk guides would have warned him of the difficulty of his route. Instead he dallied.

Try the state library in Albany. They have a very extensive collection of documents and other materials from that period.
according to at least one report they had a tough time with the cantseeums (chigger bites). Too bad they didn't have any Off bug spray.

anyway, I live in TX so Albany is also a bit far. Nice idea.
Old 29 Feb 12, 11:19
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
according to at least one report they had a tough time with the cantseeums (chigger bites). Too bad they didn't have any Off bug spray.
I once saw a black bear blow a thick, black wad of no-see-ums out of his nose and jump into a river twenty feet below just to escape them, that's how bad the bugs are in the Adirondacks. I imagine Burgoyne's troops scratching 'til they broke the skin and coming down with infections that grew septic. Fevers, boils, and cellulitis probably were rampant throughout his command -- and regular bleedings didn't cure a bit of it.

The state library may have an on-line portal that's useful. Much of their collection has been keyed or scanned in recent years.

Old 02 Mar 12, 07:47
Captain
United_States

The Battles of Saratoga from the Freneau series done in the 70s does appear to be a well done book on most of the campaign. However, the Highland Forts action seems limited to only those details mentioned in George Clinton's reports to Washington. Not much there and nothing on the assault upon Fort Montgomery.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!