HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
British Heritage
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central Discussion of current and exclusive political nature takes place here. .

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 29 Feb 12, 18:00
Selous's Avatar
Selous Selous is online now
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kingdom of Deira
Posts: 6,676
Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
First Attempted or Actual genocide?

The Germans certainly got in quick in 1905
Take some petty cash from the till, Dashy, that's what I thought, though I think it may've been '04, but only really got going perhaps by 05. The Namaqua (sp?) and Herero people.
__________________
What's war for if not an allegory to help men work out how to succeed with women? - David Mitchell

Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 29 Feb 12, 18:22
Wellington95's Avatar
Wellington95 Wellington95 is online now
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mordor
Posts: 5,987
Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
First Attempted or Actual genocide?

The Germans certainly got in quick in 1905
Either way, it wasn't Muslims. No reason to celebrate however...
__________________
"I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 29 Feb 12, 18:41
Destroyer25's Avatar
Destroyer25 Destroyer25 is offline
General of the Forums
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: "Dest"
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ACG Right-Wing Powerhouse HQ
Posts: 7,549
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
To the standard of British Morals, or at least Anglo Saxii Morals. Sorry Ricky(and others), but continentals are just plain scary.
Western Civilization's laws, morals and ethics are largely British. The greatest Classical Liberals were Anglo-Saxon, and there were a few French too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
First Attempted or Actual genocide?

The Germans certainly got in quick in 1905
Yet the Tanzanians still preferred life under them, not the British. Rwanda and Burundi certainly did not do well under the Belgians.
__________________
A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 29 Feb 12, 18:44
Selous's Avatar
Selous Selous is online now
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kingdom of Deira
Posts: 6,676
Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
No-where seemed to do well under the Belgians. Well, not in Africa anyway.

Tanzanians may've prefered it, but the Namibians certainly weren't impressed.
__________________
What's war for if not an allegory to help men work out how to succeed with women? - David Mitchell

Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 29 Feb 12, 19:57
Dashy's Avatar
Dashy Dashy is offline
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Scott Daly
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salisbury, At least in Spirit
Posts: 4,974
Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
Yet the Tanzanians still preferred life under them, not the British. Rwanda and Burundi certainly did not do well under the Belgians.
Yes, but the British never set out to systematically wipe out an ethnicity simply because they wanted a little bit of free will.
__________________
Slava Popede!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #231  
Old 29 Feb 12, 19:59
Destroyer25's Avatar
Destroyer25 Destroyer25 is offline
General of the Forums
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: "Dest"
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ACG Right-Wing Powerhouse HQ
Posts: 7,549
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
Yes, but the British never set out to systematically wipe out an ethnicity simply because they wanted a little bit of free will.
True, but British colonialism was hardly sunshine and lollypops.
__________________
A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 29 Feb 12, 20:05
Dashy's Avatar
Dashy Dashy is offline
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Scott Daly
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salisbury, At least in Spirit
Posts: 4,974
Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
True, but British colonialism was hardly sunshine and lollypops.
Fact is, It was usually better than what was before and in most cases is better than what came about afterwards.

As for Tanzania, could you provide some evidence for your claim? There was armed resistance to German Rule in 1905 and widespread protest in 1902, due to "Forced Labour". There was no serious resistance to British Rule, even when mickey mouse was running around next door, and they had a fairly quick transition into self governance.

However, I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable source so I'll await reply before proper denunciation.
__________________
Slava Popede!
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 29 Feb 12, 20:12
Destroyer25's Avatar
Destroyer25 Destroyer25 is offline
General of the Forums
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: "Dest"
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ACG Right-Wing Powerhouse HQ
Posts: 7,549
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
Fact is, It was usually better than what was before and in most cases is better than what came about afterwards.

As for Tanzania, could you provide some evidence for your claim? There was armed resistance to German Rule in 1905 and widespread protest in 1902, due to "Forced Labour". There was no serious resistance to British Rule, even when mickey mouse was running around next door, and they had a fairly quick transition into self governance.

However, I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable source so I'll await reply before proper denunciation.
I've heard stories of Tanzanians asking when the Germans were returning, as their bridges and roads fell into disrepair without them.
__________________
A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 29 Feb 12, 20:40
Dashy's Avatar
Dashy Dashy is offline
General
Pirate
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Scott Daly
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salisbury, At least in Spirit
Posts: 4,974
Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
I've heard stories of Tanzanians asking when the Germans were returning, as their bridges and roads fell into disrepair without them.
Well considering the British actually improved the Infrastructure of Tanzania, building Rail and limited sewage and electrical systems, perhaps you are talking about after the africanization of Tanzania in 1926?

And it's not like the roads were put there for Tanzanians to walk to work, looking at the Ref's on the Wiki Page

Quote:
Development for Exploitation: German colonial policies in Mainland Tanzania, 1884-1914.
Figures
__________________
Slava Popede!
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 01 Mar 12, 00:58
Karri's Avatar
Karri Karri is online now
General of the Forums
Finland
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sliema
Posts: 6,308
Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Just to add as a note: the title of the thread is "Islamic apologists", which would refer to someone defending the Islam as a faith. We do not have any such debates here.
__________________
I am neither good nor bad but a man

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 01 Mar 12, 01:02
Wellington95's Avatar
Wellington95 Wellington95 is online now
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mordor
Posts: 5,987
Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
Just to add as a note: the title of the thread is "Islamic apologists", which would refer to someone defending the Islam as a faith. We do not have any such debates here.
But isn't British and German colonial rule in Tanzania fascinating??
__________________
"I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 01 Mar 12, 01:06
Karri's Avatar
Karri Karri is online now
General of the Forums
Finland
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sliema
Posts: 6,308
Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
But isn't British and German colonial rule in Tanzania fascinating??
More interesteing would be why the moslems have not yet butchered all the Christians in the area like Pirateship is saying they should have done.
__________________
I am neither good nor bad but a man

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 01 Mar 12, 03:02
Half Pint John's Avatar
Half Pint John Half Pint John is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Real Name: John "The HUMBLE"
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: APO AE 09131 Hqs EuCom
Posts: 35,231
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
Fact is, It was usually better than what was before and in most cases is better than what came about afterwards.

As for Tanzania, could you provide some evidence for your claim? There was armed resistance to German Rule in 1905 and widespread protest in 1902, due to "Forced Labour". There was no serious resistance to British Rule, even when mickey mouse was running around next door, and they had a fairly quick transition into self governance.

However, I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable source so I'll await reply before proper denunciation.
From your point of view of course. Did you ask the locals what they thought of being colonized?
__________________
"Ask not what your country can do for you"

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.*


NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 01 Mar 12, 03:11
Karri's Avatar
Karri Karri is online now
General of the Forums
Finland
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sliema
Posts: 6,308
Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
From your point of view of course. Did you ask the locals what they thought of being colonized?
They must have liked it because our morals and ethisc are far superior.
__________________
I am neither good nor bad but a man

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 01 Mar 12, 07:17
Selous's Avatar
Selous Selous is online now
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kingdom of Deira
Posts: 6,676
Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Well...if people posted in the Colonial Era forum...
__________________
What's war for if not an allegory to help men work out how to succeed with women? - David Mitchell

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.