StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Mess Hall

Notices and Announcements

Mess Hall By popular demand - this area of the Barracks is set aside for all your culinary-related discussions.

View Poll Results: Do you put table salt on your meals?
YES. I generally put salt on my meals. 13 39.39%
NO. I generally do not put salt on my meals. 10 30.30%
I don't put salt on my meals but use other condiments. 6 18.18%
I put salt PLUS other condiments on my meals. 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Jan 12, 15:59
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Sea salt has a range of different minerals in it, like Iodine. Salt mines has prehistoric salt that has had these minerals squeezed out. The oil industry loves salt domes, because there is usually oil there as well. I remember years back an oil well drilled into the salt mine underneath and the whole lake went down the hole. In fact, everything on the lake went down the hole, including the drilling well! After a while it all came spitting back up out of the well. this happened near Delcambre many years ago. The drilling company had to pay a large damage suit brought by the salt mine owners!

Pruitt
What might be true for one area is not the same in others. There are many major salt mine over here but with out the trace of oil.

FB 327 th ASD/ADD 165th Avn Grp RVN

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.

Old 30 Jan 12, 18:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is simply cracking [600]
dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600] dgfred is simply cracking [600]
Yes... I salt almost everything. I even salt pepperoni pizza .

The worst part about it is that my 21 yr old daughter does the same thing.
Old 30 Jan 12, 18:10
Lieutenant General
Wales

Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600] Tuck's Luck is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
I find salt usually kills alot of the flavor for me... or else just replaces it with a salty taste i don't care food except certain foods. I like salty french fries, and potatoe chips.

however putting salt on fruit drives me insane, because I'm expecting a sweet or sour juicy morsel of food, but end up with a bland, salty not to juicy anymore food. Watermelon is the worst for it, and half my family salts, the other half despises it.
I must admit I have never heard of putting salt on water melon before. A couple have mentioned it in this thread. I'll have to try it.
Old 30 Jan 12, 18:24
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Whenever cooking salt is normally part of the recipe, and if it's not I normally ad a little in anyway. When eating out or eating something that has been prepared for me I'll only add salt if it's necessary (eg inadequately salted fries).
Old 30 Jan 12, 19:16
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500]
SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500] SRV Ron is a jewel in the rough [500]
Then, there is the giant underground city deep under Detroit.
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...eneath-detroit

There is enough sodium in processed foods that no one should ever require added salt. In fact some items, such as the instant dehydrated soups, there is so much added salt as to be too salty for my taste. If so, for cooking, use iodized salt or sea salt. Otherwise season with seasoning salts to taste.

On the other hand, as a test, compare no salt added can string beans to a standard can of canned string beans. The standard can is quite tasty. The no salt variety is like eating cardboard.

Old 30 Jan 12, 19:56
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Because I'm a relatively new parent we killed added salt in our food during the cooking process. I will only make one meal, and kids up to the age of 1 or so don't have the kidneys to process salt properly. Therefore, I haven't bought salt for a few years now.

I now use stock cubes, instead of just salt, when cooking some veg.

However, Brittany (that bit next to France, not the singer) makes some wonderful chilli sea salt, which is absolutely fantastic on tomatoes.
Old 30 Jan 12, 21:10
General of the Forums
Pirate
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I don't put salt on everything, in fact I rarely put salt on anything but I do use it on eggs occasionally, along with pepper.

On Clam Chowder soup and macaroni n' cheese (haven't had that forever though), I like to put a lot of black pepper.

Ye who now will bless the poor,
Shall yourselves find blessing!"

--Good King Wenceslas
Old 30 Jan 12, 23:11
General of the Forums
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800] rebpreacher gives and gets respect [800]
I'm like the boss. I use sea salt,and herbs. I hardly use any pepper. But I do taste it before I add it,and then very little. I don't want my blood pressure to suddenly go up. My father has it,so I worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I generally prefer Sea Salt over mined salt, but, yes, I salt me food sometimes.

As I've gotten up in years I've begun to actually taste my food 1st, where as before I just salted it all regardless.

I use alotta black pepper, too.

Old 30 Jan 12, 23:21
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Sea salt, if anything.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"
Old 31 Jan 12, 15:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
John,

I live near the Gulf of Mexico. I talk about whats around here. I know there are ancient salt mines in the Alps that have lost their hydrocarbons a long time ago.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

NOT on Staff!
Old 31 Jan 12, 17:44
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
I must admit I have never heard of putting salt on water melon before. A couple have mentioned it in this thread. I'll have to try it.
Just a tad. A very small amount increases the taste of the melon. Some things, people over do it with salt but like with most things in life, just a little makes it enjoyable.

Old 31 Jan 12, 17:47
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nope. In fact I'm trying to cut down the sodium in my shopping to help in getting my blood pressure down.
Old 31 Jan 12, 17:52
ACG Forums - General Staff
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Only some sea salt on my spuds, which isn't much anyway because I eat less these days.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers."
- Carl Sagan.
Old 31 Jan 12, 18:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
John,

I live near the Gulf of Mexico. I talk about whats around here. I know there are ancient salt mines in the Alps that have lost their hydrocarbons a long time ago.

Pruitt
Pru, I'm sure you talk of things that you know first, I try to do the same. Outside the Alps there are still major salt mines in the Heilbronn area of Germany, among others. Sort of like the salt around the Detroit area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Friedrichshall

Old 31 Jan 12, 19:51
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
Jennie,

That is how my mother taught me to eat Watermelon when I was small. Adding salt might be a Southern thing. I once stopped at a produce stand in Shreveport, LA and found Watermelon Rind Pepper Jelly! My ex the Cajun loved it! She couldn't make me try it. She probably really did like it because she ate it all!

John,

I understand where you are coming from, the geology down here is different than most places. We have many "islands" in the marsh around here that were created by salt domes pushing the ground up. In fact my town is named after the "Sulphur Mines" that once operated just West of town. My Dad was raised in the little company village there. The pond was created when the sulphur was pumped out, collapsing the "island" here and in was a popular swimming hole called "Crystal Creek".

I will always remember my maternal GrandPaw taking my brother, my cousin (from the other side) and me fishing there. We foul hooked a huge White Perch. It was just sitting in the water right next to the bank. GrandPaw dipped a triple hook on a line into the water until he caught the fish on the lip. My cousin got attached and we brought it to his home and it lived in the bathtub for several weeks. I can't say where my cousin bathed during this time!

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

NOT on Staff!
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!