StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members > Army

Notices and Announcements

Army ACG service in the Army of any nation.

Old 18 Dec 09, 18:00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) Model Forum Group Build Victor 

AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200] AirborneBob is walking in the light [200]
Screaming Eagle

I enlisted in the Army in 1982, after graduating college from Virginia Tech with a degree in Communications. "82 was a bad year for he recession, and I found a job as the assistant manager of a Pipe and Tobacco shop. One day, as fate would have it, an Army recruiter came in, and one thing led to another, and by September 1982 I was an E-3 going through basic training at Ft. Dix NJ. It was the plan that I would take the longest MOS school I could to put together a packet to Officer Candidate School. Since I nearly maxed the ASVAB, i was able to choose a 36 week school, and get electronic repair skills at the same time. I was at Ft. Gordon Ga, for over a year, became a Tactical Microwave Radio Reapairmen, and got accepted to OCS. From there it was off to Ft Benning, OCS, in June. Not the best of seasons in west Georgia!
Upon graduation, and beccoming a 2nd Lt. It was back to Mother Gordon for Officer Basic school. There I selected to go to the maintenance side of the Signal Corps, and received orders to Germany. But first, I volunteered for Airborne training, and was sent back to Benning. Jump school was great, and I finished..now off to Germany! Upon arrival at the famous 21st REPLDEPOT I was sent to 5th Corps in Frankfurt. It would appear the Maintenance specialty I received was a bit rare, and there were few units that had that job code around. But they were able to find a unit that had the slot, open and unfilled, an Aviation Maitenance Battalion in Hanau, the only drawback was that the postion was also an Aviation slot. Needles to say i arrived to the unit as a Signal officer, never before touched a helicopter, not to mention fly one! I became the Armament Avionics Platoon leader, at a aviation Maintenance Battalion (205th Transportation Bn- AVIM) that later became the 1/158th Aviation Regiment AVIM. I spent 3 yrs in Hanau and was able to log several hours of bootleg flight time in Hueys and Cobras!! (I was conducting Test Flights for my crew....)
By 1987 it was time to rotate back stateside and for Officer Advance school back at Ft Gordon. I finished up the advance school only to learn that my speciality code for Signal Maintenance had been givien to the Ordnance Corps, so I was sent to another Officer Advance class at Redstone Arsenal, AL. Now a Captain, I arrived at Redstone for the Missile Maintence Officer Course. Completed that, and received orders to Ft Campbell KY, home of the Screaming Eagles!

At first, I was assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group, but when they figured that I knew nothing about real radios carried on your back, I was sent to the Division's Maintenance Battalion. I was assigned to the 801st Mnt Bn, in the Materiel Office (MATO) as the electronics repair Officer. I was responsible for the tracking of Divisonal electronic assets including Night Vision goggles, and Tacfire radar systems. August 1990 rolls around..Iraq invades Kuwait, and on September 12 1990 I was on the advance party in Saudi Arabia.
(as this is rambling I will continue later....)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Dec 09, 22:27
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300]
Hey I was in the 801st in 1986 for a few months before I got out. I remember coming in and getting issued 4 ripstop jungle fatiuges those were the coolest uniforms I ever got to where. The 101st was real Army I wish I would have stayed longer I mighht have reupped....
Nah but it was fun I didn't get to do air assualt school cause the blackhawks were grounded for something I think anyway it's hard to remember that far back anyway thanks for bringing me back if only for moment
Old 23 Mar 11, 14:28
Lance Corporal
United_States

Frisbee is on the path to success [1-99]
D/1/506

Served with D/1/506 Inf 101st Abn Div 68'-69'
B/2/50 Inf (mech) 69'-70'
Old 16 Dec 11, 17:27
Recruit
United_States

CPTMartin is a balanced individual [0]
Currently a Currahee.

2nd Time with the BDE. As a Rifle Platoon Leader I was OPCON to 1-506IN (Red Currahee) in Ramadi, I came back as the Signal Officer for Red Currahee in OEF, and now I'm a Commander in 801st BSB. I have to figure out how to have a para-dice image pop up whenever I post. This is a special unit, esp. the connection with the veterans. "Stands Alone!"
Old 20 Dec 11, 17:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Took my Abn training with the 101st at Benning, a long, long time ago.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!