HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia > South Ossetian Conflict

Notices and Announcements

South Ossetian Conflict Discuss the conflict between Georgia and Russia over South Ossetia.

Old 08 Dec 11, 23:15
General of the Forums
Canada
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington95 View Post
Not join NATO, it's not worth war... if Russia were to attack Georgia without cause, they'd receive international condemnation.

Putin, for all his faults, is smarter than that.
I guess you missed the memo about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Ossetia_war.

International condemnation is the biggest joke in the world. The international community denounced both sides in that war, did it solve anything? Nope.

Words don't accomplish anything, unless there's a very large gun behind them, they're nothing.
Old 08 Dec 11, 23:17
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
I guess you missed the memo about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Ossetia_war.

International condemnation is the biggest joke in the world. The international community denounced both sides in that war, did it solve anything? Nope.

Words don't accomplish anything, unless there's a very large gun behind them, they're nothing.
It's that mindset that maintains war instead of peace on earth.

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 08 Dec 11, 23:24
General of the Forums
Canada

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
It's that mindset that maintains war instead of peace on earth.
That's a huge fallacy and you know it. Hitler started WWII because he was crazy, and he knew Britain and France weren't going to do anything about it. Poor policy on our part has resulted in a situation where despots know that they can get away with virtually anything. They only need to worry when USA threatens them with force. Otherwise, they know that the worst thing that will happen to them will be a tiny, under supplied, under armed UN peacekeeping force for them to chew up.

War is not the product of a mindset and never has been. Humans are inherently violent, and we need to accept that. I guess you missed this video too.

Old 08 Dec 11, 23:27
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
That's a huge fallacy and you know it. Hitler started WWII because he was crazy, and he knew Britain and France weren't going to do anything about it. Poor policy on our part has resulted in a situation where despots know that they can get away with virtually anything. They only need to worry when USA threatens them with force. Otherwise, they know that the worst thing that will happen to them will be a tiny, under supplied, under armed UN peacekeeping force for them to chew up.

War is not the product of a mindset and never has been. Humans are inherently violent, and we need to accept that. I guess you missed this video too.

I've never advocated for passive anything, I believe we should be firm in our resistance to evil, but I tell you what mate, I will never accept that lives must be lost...

But that's just me, go off and wage your wars (and don't get me wrong I will support you and the troops-not the cause- but the troops)

But if you advocate war, you should be willing to fight in it: that means being able to kill and die for your country, you want to do that, go right ahead...but I value human life (however corrupt it may be) to do so myself

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 08 Dec 11, 23:30
General of the Forums
Canada

Quote:
I've never advocated for passive anything, I believe we should be firm in our resistance to evil, but I tell you what mate, I will never accept that lives must be lost...

But that's just me, go off and wage your wars (and don't get me wrong I will support you and the troops-not the cause- but the troops)

But if you advocate war, you should be willing to fight in it: that means being able to kill and die for your country, you want to do that, go right ahead...but I value human life (however corrupt it may be) to do so myself
Then how do you propose you deal with those who seek to do you harm? How do you defend you country from invaders without killing them?

Old 08 Dec 11, 23:32
General of the Forums
Armchair_General

Quote:
Then how do you propose you deal with those who seek to do you harm? How do you defend you country from invaders without killing them?
All I'm saying is, if YOU want a war with those who wish us harm, YOU better be willing to fight, die, and kill in it.

"Live well. It is the greatest revenge." ~The Talmud

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Old 09 Dec 11, 08:17
General of the Forums
Belgium

Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Are you in army now ? Oops how could I forgot you don't will serve because "I have a girlfriend" and "my mom don't wants so".

Slaves don't want freedom. Slaves want their own slaves.
Old 09 Dec 11, 08:18
General of the Forums
Belgium

Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500] Emtos is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Because Putin wants his neighbors to be weak so he can crush them easily. Russia thinks they are entitled to tell their neighbors what to do, and thus any neighbor that does anything to protect their sovereignty would be a threat to the influence they think they deserve.
He only don't wants to have an American puppet regime on his borders. Especially when those regimes kill Russian citizens and soldiers.

Slaves don't want freedom. Slaves want their own slaves.
Old 09 Dec 11, 10:31
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Sami
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Erkki is simply cracking [600]
Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Are you sure you read it fully? Russian citizens getting killed as well as peacekeepers. An area where peace was supposed to be uphold by both Russian, Ossetians and Georgians coming under attack. All of them seems like "causes" to me. At least I wouldn´t disagree if Canada took action after getting their peacekeepers killed.

Further if Putin wanted to have Mihos head, what stopped him? Georgian army? In panic. Air force? Annhilated. Navy? Sunk by Russian Paratroopers.

Speaking of that, a lot of guys where predicting that Russia would be back in Georgia by the next summer. For your information it is now December and only a few years later, where is my money?

Svbway To Sallys - Kraehenfrass
Old 09 Dec 11, 10:36
Sami

Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600] Erkki is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Because Putin wants his neighbors to be weak so he can crush them easily.
And why would he want that?

Old 09 Dec 11, 10:47
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ace View Post
Like it, Rojik. This illustrates my point in another thread about the USSR. What the Georgians do has sod all to do with Moscow, but here's Putin making threats because he doesn't like it. F**K HIM !!!
Yes... Suddenly Sergey Lavrov is Putin....

Further if you actually look into 888 you would see Mad Miho thinking that he had support of some Western powers, thinking that he had backing he decided to try and deal with a obstacle to join NATO, I don´t remember the law text exactly but it says something like this: If you have territorial disputes you can´t join. That would be Abkhazia and South Ossetia. So anyway in a quick surprise move he would end those disputes by military force. And that went... not so good. As the "support he thought he had never materialized and a little slight miscalculation of the military effectiveness of SO and Abkhazian militia.

In the light of that, Russia is afraid that if Georgia Joins NATO, Saak might start believing things again... Not a good thing! Apart from what I mentioned he also thinks ties is food and seems to hear Russian bombers at times. Not to mention that he saw Russian assassins and spies everywhere in his government for a while...

Old 10 Dec 11, 04:55
Lieutenant Colonel
Estonia
March Offensive 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
In the light of that, Russia is afraid that if Georgia Joins NATO, Saak might start believing things again... Not a good thing! Apart from what I mentioned he also thinks ties is food and seems to hear Russian bombers at times. Not to mention that he saw Russian assassins and spies everywhere in his government for a while...
Except artixle 5 won't work if a Nato member is the agressor. And I'm 100% positive that none of the members would want to bend the rules just so that Georgia would get its territory back.
Old 10 Dec 11, 12:05
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Except artixle 5 won't work if a Nato member is the agressor. And I'm 100% positive that none of the members would want to bend the rules just so that Georgia would get its territory back.
Pretty much what I think to, I may not hold Nato in that high regard at all times, but at least they are somewhat sane. But I am not so sure about Saak.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!