HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > Greatest Blunder

Notices and Announcements

Greatest Blunder Greatest Blunder Campaign - 2010

Old 03 Nov 11, 02:33
General of the Forums
EU
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Seems like some of you are not so bright! Duhhh

This list is the result of the members votes during the campaign...and the blunders were suggestions of the community...

Think before complaining

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Determination! Leaving no stone unturned!

BORG
Old 04 Nov 11, 09:07
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Suggestions of the community or not, they still don't all make much sense.

Old 04 Nov 11, 13:11
General of the Forums
EU
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Please excuse my bluntness on the previous post.

Although I can surely live with some criticism on certain projects. What I HAVE problems dealing with is that people here have put time and effort into getting this campaign started FOR EVERYBODY.

I detest the fact that people who have nothing to do with their time decide to criticize other people's work - for no reason - as the project has past and is over. If you critisize, at least support it with some historical backing. This way I -and others- will be able to learn something...without it, you are just being a twit making yourself look foolish.

Those that weren't there at the time I say: too bad, let's see your project and give me the opportunity to critisize IF need be. At least I'll have the decency to do it beforehand and back it up with a WHY.

To those that were there when the campaign started and decide to critisize now, I say: where were you then?

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG
Old 04 Nov 11, 13:22
General of the Forums
UK

Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
Yes,
I don't mean to be overly critical, I well understand your umbridge on that score, so I'm sorry for my part in that, and how I may've come across.

I don't believe I was a member when this took place, otherwise I most certainly would have contributed. I was more in response to the recent posts. My point though, isn't of historical accuracy or innacuracy, it's one of logical reasoning; I don't see how some of those entries can be classed as blunders and mistakes as some of them are whole campaigns or indeed, wars. (Franco Prussian War, 6 day war and both Union and Confederate campaigns in the Civil War are on the list). These either ignore the apparent necessity to wage war or the objective of the campaign. Unless they're on the list because the campaign in questionw ere poorly ran, but that's not a blunder as such, it's bad strategy or operational art/ management. I don't know if I'm making my point very clear, sorry, it just seemed quite odd to me.

Old 06 Nov 11, 10:45
General of the Forums
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
Yes,
I don't mean to be overly critical, I well understand your umbridge on that score, so I'm sorry for my part in that, and how I may've come across.

I don't believe I was a member when this took place, otherwise I most certainly would have contributed. I was more in response to the recent posts. My point though, isn't of historical accuracy or innacuracy, it's one of logical reasoning; I don't see how some of those entries can be classed as blunders and mistakes as some of them are whole campaigns or indeed, wars. (Franco Prussian War, 6 day war and both Union and Confederate campaigns in the Civil War are on the list). These either ignore the apparent necessity to wage war or the objective of the campaign. Unless they're on the list because the campaign in questionw ere poorly ran, but that's not a blunder as such, it's bad strategy or operational art/ management. I don't know if I'm making my point very clear, sorry, it just seemed quite odd to me.
Thank you Selous!
I'm glad I was allowed to explain WHY I reacted so rashly and I'm glad that it makes sense to you...sometimes things like this are difficult to explain.
I know a whole bunch of other battles could have been on the list...you are right but also entire wars (In the Franco-Prussian War so many blunders were made that it was difficult to pin-point all the battles for this campaign, we would have had 150 Military Blunders). But then again it is very difficult to choose which ones should be included and which ones not...

Very kind regards,

Stratego

BORG
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Nov 11, 11:06
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
I don't see how some of those entries can be classed as blunders and mistakes as some of them are whole campaigns or indeed, wars.
A certain former US Secretary of Defense curiously referred to the Vietnam War as "an error".

His words. And he was involved from the start.

Philip
Old 09 Nov 11, 12:02
General of the Forums
UK

Ja, but that's a political decision, the military instrument enters in at a lower level of strategy from the political direction

Old 10 Nov 11, 14:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I wouldn't have included "Custer's Last Stand/Battle of the Little Big Horn" in this topic. There were probably far less than 500 KIA on both sides in the entire battle. In the overall scheme of things, it was a relatively minor skirmish in a long series of battles in wars lasting for hundreds of years in North America.
Old 12 Nov 11, 12:41
Brigadier General
United_States

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
I would think it would be included due to the overweening pride of Custer ignoring sound military practice in conducting himself and his troops.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967
Old 12 Nov 11, 13:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryan View Post
I wouldn't have included "Custer's Last Stand/Battle of the Little Big Horn" in this topic. There were probably far less than 500 KIA on both sides in the entire battle. In the overall scheme of things, it was a relatively minor skirmish in a long series of battles in wars lasting for hundreds of years in North America.
If it goes down in the history books, it is probably worthy of discussion.

How many were killed at Wounded Knee, anther historical action?

Sometimes small battles have large repercussions.
Old 13 Nov 11, 04:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In order to qualify as one of the TOP military blunders, it has to be huge.

Body count, the collapse of a Nation, money lost by the truck-load or how about this one; loosing the war.
-The Exorcist

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!