HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 13 Oct 11, 18:02
Banned
United_States

Historyman500 has a little shameless behaviour in the past [-1 to -99]
Questioning George Washington

and to think that he really cared about the american people

WHISKEY REBELLION ring any bells....

horrible, what he did..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Oct 11, 19:34
Brigadier General
United_States

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I see Washington as a semi-puppet at this stage
of his life. Alexander Hamilton seemed to be the one
chomping at the gate for glory at anyone's expense.
Old 14 Oct 11, 00:35
Lieutenant General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300] Checkertail20 is on a distinguished road [300]
I am not an expert on the Whiskey Rebellion but what did Washington do that was so horrible. The tax may not have been fair but there were taxmen and other goverment officials that were attacked and an armed insurrection brewing. The nation was still young and Washington could not yet this sort of thing happen or this country may not have survived to see 1800.
Old 14 Oct 11, 08:28
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Similar situations have arisen in modern times but the government continues to struggle with a proper solution. As long as the insurrection remains small and localized, we have come to the conclusion that simply waiting them out is superior to shooting them. However, just to be objective, what exactly would one have Washington do? Its not like he had an FBI or ATF to turn the situation over to.

There are always those who feel specific taxes are unfair. We currently have a new excise tax on tanning bed operators. They feel it unfair targeting of their business. Should we allow the tanning salon owners across the nation to take up arms against the IRS so that collecting taxes (properly passed by Congress) becomes voluntary? Do I only need to pay that which I personally find 'fair'?
Old 14 Oct 11, 14:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 SPQR Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Horrible man that Washington fellow.

Next we'll be hearing that it was a Rothschild plot to fill their coffers with whiskey tax dollars.

Beware the troll fellas.
Old 15 Oct 11, 09:51
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]

First, I would recommend reading the book 1794 by Dave Palmer-it has an excellent retelling of the Whiskey Rebellion and Washington's reaction to it.

Second, perhaps a careful rereading, or in some cases a reading for the first time, of the Constitution.

Article II was written specifically with Washington in mind not only as a model, but definitely in mind by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention as the first president. Washington really had no choice in the matter.

Then the right of 'peaceful assembly needs to be understood. Anything can be disagreed with, demonstrated against, by individuals or groups. However, you cannot turn either violent or destructive in the demonstration-that is illegal and legal force can be used against you to bring the violence to a stop. Rebellion is not a legal activity against the government of the United States. In short, it's unconstitutional.

Washington was completely within his rights as president and commander-in-chief to call out an army to move against the Whiskey malcontents. The US government, within the Constitution, has the power to tax. If Washington was a tyrant, he would have had the ring-leaders of the rebellion rounded up and shot.

Not only was Washington an excellent commander-in-chief during the Revolution, as well as the de facto head of government to whom Congress deferred at least from 1780, he was the greatest president. Without Washington, there could have been no Lincoln. And without Washington, both in the Revolution and after, there would have been no United States.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Last edited by Massena; 15 Oct 11 at 13:16..
Old 21 Oct 11, 18:09
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Horrible man that Washington fellow.

Next we'll be hearing that it was a Rothschild plot to fill their coffers with whiskey tax dollars.

Beware the troll fellas.
I went back and read other post by the OP and your called him out correctly as a troll, Legate.
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
Old 24 Jun 13, 03:55
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Ben Tallmadge is on the path to success [1-99] Ben Tallmadge is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Similar situations have arisen in modern times but the government continues to struggle with a proper solution. As long as the insurrection remains small and localized, we have come to the conclusion that simply waiting them out is superior to shooting them. However, just to be objective, what exactly would one have Washington do? Its not like he had an FBI or ATF to turn the situation over to.

There are always those who feel specific taxes are unfair. We currently have a new excise tax on tanning bed operators. They feel it unfair targeting of their business. Should we allow the tanning salon owners across the nation to take up arms against the IRS so that collecting taxes (properly passed by Congress) becomes voluntary? Do I only need to pay that which I personally find 'fair'?
Great response and my thoughts exactly.

Now as to Historyman500's response:

WHISKEY REBELLION ring any bells....

horrible, what he did..

What did Washington do that was so horrible?

Before troops could be raised, the Militia Act of 1792 required a justice of the United States Supreme Court to certify that law enforcement was beyond the control of local authorities. On August 4, 1794, Justice James Wilson delivered his opinion that western Pennsylvania was in a state of rebellion. On August 7, Washington issued a presidential proclamation announcing, with "the deepest regret", that the militia would be called out to suppress the rebellion. He commanded insurgents in western Pennsylvania to disperse by September 1.

The insurrection collapsed as the army marched into western Pennsylvania in October 1794. Some of the most prominent leaders of the insurrection, like David Bradford, fled westward to safety. After an investigation, federal government officials arrested about 20 people and brought them back to Philadelphia for trial. Eventually, a federal grand jury indicted 24 men for high treason. Most of the accused had eluded capture, so only ten men stood trial for treason in federal court. Of these, only Philip Vigol (later changed to Wigal) and John Mitchell were convicted. Vigol had beaten up a tax collector and burned his house; Mitchell was a simpleton who had been convinced by David Bradford to rob the U.S. mail. Both men were sentenced to death by hanging, but they were pardoned by President Washington. Pennsylvania state courts were more successful in prosecuting lawbreakers, securing numerous convictions for assault and rioting.

So again I ask what did Washington do that was so bad? The insurrection collapsed as soon as the army marched into the area. If anyone anyone is to blame for this whole sordid deal it's that SOB Alexander Hamilton and his money grubbing greedy fingers causing trouble once more. It's a same Burr and Hamilton had dueled much earlier with the same lasting results.

I'll stop before I get on my Hamilton soapbox.

Benjamin Tallmadge
Culper Spy Ring
Leader-Spy Master
(We still exist to this day)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!