HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II

Notices and Announcements

Armor in World War II Discuss all aspects & disciplines of World War II Armor here.

Old 10 Sep 11, 08:36
Major General
Pirate
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200]
The best Armoured Cars of WW II

Most armed force in WW II fielded armoured cars.
But irrespecive of Nation,
Which do you rate the better ones, but more importantly why:.
What ones do you rate not worth the trouble and why:
Some examples: Humber Mk 1, Morris Mk I & II, Sdkfz 232, Ford M 8,
and AB 40, BA 10.

Ed.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Sep 11, 09:21
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My favourite is the Puma.

The best would depend on its role. I've always liked the Dingo as very well armoured (the one in the D-Day museum at Portsmouth has over 2" of armour at the front), small and mobile. This is what I would want to recce with, the prime role of an armoured car.

Old 10 Sep 11, 09:32
Major General
Pirate

dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

The best would depend on its role. I've always liked the Dingo as very well armoured (the one in the D-Day museum at Portsmouth has over 2" of armour at the front), small and mobile. This is what I would want to recce with, the prime role of an armoured car.

Nick, your are talking Daimler but showing Humber. Unrelated or error?
The Daimler Dingo must have been good, the Italians copied the vehicle, which gives it a lot of credit in my view. The 4 wheel steering of the Mk I, caused al lot of handling problems (needed more driver training) and was dropped with the Mk II. Like you said a nice little vehicle with a lot going for it.
The German Puma looks an impressive vehicle. Everything looks right about it, but not that many where produced. Although production capacity was available, the Germans considered it, for once, too expensive.
The German eight-wheelers survived for a long time inspite of their complexity. This makes me think that they must have had a lot going for them.
I admit that I have a soft spot for the little Humber, just one of those little things that has no particular rhyme or reason.

Ed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ita-Lince[1].jpg (19.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dutched; 10 Sep 11 at 10:01..
Old 10 Sep 11, 23:19
General of the Forums
New_Zealand
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] broderickwells has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I've got a soft spot for both the Staghound Mk II

and the AB 41
Old 11 Sep 11, 00:03
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Personal favorites. Not the best by any means.

BA-10 45mm cannon gave it a respectable punch for its weight.

White M2 Scout Car 1 M2HB , 2 .30 cal mgs gave a good weight of fire. That and the fact it could carry 7 infantrymen/scouts in addition made it a mini rolling porcupine.

(Images used without permission.)

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 11 Sep 11, 00:12
Brigadier General
United_States

Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300]
puma
Old 11 Sep 11, 00:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

I'd go with a Puma too. Faster than hell and armed with a 50mm main gun in an enclosed turret, wins the argument for me.
Old 11 Sep 11, 04:25
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutched View Post
Nick, your are talking Daimler but showing Humber. Unrelated or error?
The Daimler Dingo must have been good, the Italians copied the vehicle, which gives it a lot of credit in my view. The 4 wheel steering of the Mk I, caused al lot of handling problems (needed more driver training) and was dropped with the Mk II. Like you said a nice little vehicle with a lot going for it.
The German Puma looks an impressive vehicle. Everything looks right about it, but not that many where produced. Although production capacity was available, the Germans considered it, for once, too expensive.
The German eight-wheelers survived for a long time inspite of their complexity. This makes me think that they must have had a lot going for them.
I admit that I have a soft spot for the little Humber, just one of those little things that has no particular rhyme or reason.

Ed.
Well spotted. +1 on route .

Old 11 Sep 11, 05:06
Private First Class
Germany

tom! is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi.

I personally think the smaller and faster the better. A large gun is nice but not really necessary for recon. So I go for

- SdKfz 222

- BA-64

- Daimler Dingo

etc.

Yours

tom!
Old 11 Sep 11, 05:51
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
AEC MkIII Armoured Car

http://www.warwheels.net/images/AEC_...heet_HAUGH.pdf

Daimler MkII Armoured Car

http://www.warwheels.net/images/Daim..._DATASHEET.pdf

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a friendship bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 11 Sep 11 at 06:38..
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Sep 11, 13:02
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
No one for some of the Dutch Armoured cars from the start of the war? IIRC some of those where very impressive pieces of kit.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 11 Sep 11, 13:53
Brigadier General
United_States

Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300] Brumbear is on a distinguished road [300]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ARWTzzcJec
Old 11 Sep 11, 15:35
Sergeant
Denmark

Imperial Dane is on the path to success [1-99]
I must admit i'm rather tempted to go for the Puma as well
Old 11 Sep 11, 16:16
Major General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
No one for some of the Dutch Armoured cars from the start of the war? IIRC some of those where very impressive pieces of kit.
Well for some-one twisting my arm. The three types of armoured cars used by the Dutch at the time of the German invasion:
The Swedish built Landsverk 181 and the improved Landsverk 182:
The Panserwagen M-36 (mod. 181), 6x4, engine: Daimler-Benz, petrol 4-stroke 6 in line, 80 bHp/300 rpm, weight 6.100 Kg.
In use with the 1e Eskadron Panserwagens.
Panserwagen M-38 (mod 182) 6x4, engine: Bussing-NAG, petrol 4-stroke, V-8, 150bHp/300 rpm, weight 7.000 Kg.
In use with the 2e Eskadron Panserwagens.
None of the Landsverk designs had floor armour, which at the time (pre-1938) was not considered too much of a problem. To the layman the external diffenrences between the 181 and the 182 model;
Trapezoid shaped front radiator grille v. recangular one. The Panserwagen M-39 (DAF mod P.T.3), 6x, engine: Ford, petrol 4-stroke, V-8, 95 pHp/3600 rpm, weight 5.800 Kg.
The 182 model is wider at the front hence it's rectangular radiator grille v. the trapezoid shaped grille for the 181 model

All of the above armoured cars were equiped with the "same" Landsverk style turret with a 37 mm Bofors quick-fire AT gun. with an independent
M-20 mg.
All vehicles also had front and rear M-20 mgs.
Further more all of the types/makes had a front and auxiliary rear driver's position! Now this is really appreciated if you have to steer the vehicle looking at the outside world through peep slits and periscopes, whist trying to get out of a hot spot.

Most of the Dutch armour was used to protect airfields and consequently saw action for most part against the German Fallschirmjaeger attacking said
airfields. Other than that and some lt. recon work around areas said to be under threat by Fallschirmjager, the Dutch armoured cars did not see much action.
The captured M-36 and M-38 were retained by the German Polizei Dienst the German Police in Holland.
Captured (DAF) M-39 were used by the German SS Polizei Division on the Eastern Front until at least winter 1941/42.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reghuzsytz-b18[1].jpg (37.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg pz%201[1].JPG (29.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 003[1].jpg (60.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dutched; 11 Sep 11 at 18:44..
Old 11 Sep 11, 16:52
General of the Forums
Canada

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
I'm going to have to go with the Puma. It was very well armed for an Armored Car.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!