HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider Hosting > GreatHistory.com

Notices and Announcements

GreatHistory.com Articles and discussion from our partner blogging site at GreatHistory.com.

Old 13 Jul 09, 10:20
First Lieutenant
United_States

Great History is on the path to success [1-99]
The Vietnam Spy Who Betrayed Us, Part I

Pham Xuan An spied for the North Vietnamese while posing as a reporter for the likes of Time magazine. Larry Berman's book about An is a little too flattering for this author's taste.

More...

Feed Source
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Aug 11, 00:16
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800]
Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800] Sgt. Rock gives and gets respect [800]
I'm always interested in learning about espionage, and recently learned a little about Pham Xuan An, and agree with your assessment about the gushing about him by the Western press. If a spy had done this in WWII working for the Nazis or the Japanese against the Allies, nobody would be gushing about him making him out to be some great awesome reporter. From what I learned Pham Xuan An wasn't allowed to leave Communist Vietnam after the war.

From the link below it indicates that he gave intelligence that helped decide several important battles. I haven't read the book so I can't expand on what battles, but I'd be interested in learning more.

From the link below.

"From Publishers Weekly
Bass (The Eudaemonic Pie) expands his New Yorker profile of Vietnamese journalist-spy Pham Xuan An into this atmospheric study of tangled war-time loyalties. Working from 1965 to 1976 in Time magazine's Saigon bureau, An became known as a well-informed and connected reporter. Meanwhile, he passed clandestine reports and top-secret South Vietnamese and American military documents to the Communists; his intelligence purportedly helped decide several important battles."

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Who-Loved-...ref=pd_sim_b_4
Old 17 Aug 11, 00:21
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great History View Post
Larry Berman's book about An is a little too flattering for this author's taste.
Mine too

Old 17 Aug 11, 17:57
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
The interesting question is how did a Time reporter get access to top secret US and Vietnam documents. While his actions are vile, there would seem to be a big shame on us for letting it happen in here somewhere.
Old 17 Aug 11, 18:16
General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
Just bought the book at local dollar store.

For a dollar.

26.95 price on the dust cover...

I probably paid too much.

If you want my copy for your library Missy, I'll put it in the mail after I read it.

Edit: To elaborate, "The Spy Who Loved Us by Thomas A Bass" is the book I bought today. If anyone wants a copy, I'll ask if additional copies are available for a buck each.

Last edited by skiplc; 17 Aug 11 at 20:55..
Old 30 Nov 12, 08:52
Banned
Canada

Mandarincook is a balanced individual [0]
If I were living on that era I would had easily sensed betrayal by his slanted articles on the Vietnam War and his 'exceptional gift' of 'knowing the enemy' through information fed by the Vietcong intelligence and the Soviet Union spy agencies. Tongue slips and ideological outbursts (one miss, you die) like those of Kim Philby and slanted essays which form part of communist active measures should be dealt with outright dismissal (of course with a few exceptions like our very own professional spy, Victor Corpus of the Armed Forces of the Philippines).

Last edited by Mandarincook; 01 Dec 12 at 08:36..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!