HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members > Navy

Notices and Announcements

Navy ACG member service in the Navy of any nation.

Old 22 Apr 11, 10:08
Sergeant Major
United_States

Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99]
USS Nassau (LHA-4) Decommed

The USS Nassau, aka "The Big Nasty," aka "The Death Star," was recently decommissioned in Norfolk. I served aboard her from 1999-2003. The ship was great and I have some good and bad memories of my service. She was the only ship I served on during my stint in the Navy.

I wasn't able to make it down to the ceremony, but some of my former friends from those days did and had a good time.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/USS-N...118942484.html.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 24 Apr 11, 21:30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100] drivin-fool has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Well talk about a small world. I too served aboard the Nassau V-3 div. 87-90. I was there for the decom ceremony and I was also fortunate enough to snap some pictures as she was towed out of Norfolk on her final journey to sea. If you are on facebook look her page up. There are tons of pix and some video from the decom.
Old 09 Apr 12, 10:21
Sergeant Major
United_States

Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99] Pyle's Heroes is on the path to success [1-99]
It is a small world. My mom worked with a guy that had served on Nassau in the early 80s. I unfortunately couldn't make it down to the ceremony, but I did see the pics and videos. Very strange to see her without all the radar gear up on the 08 level.
Old 09 Apr 12, 10:43
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It is good to see they will lay her up at Beaumont, TX. The US Navy needs to keep some de-commissioned ships in storage.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 11 Apr 12, 17:24
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900] Bass_Man86 has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
The USS Nassau, aka "The Big Nasty," aka "The Death Star," was recently decommissioned in Norfolk. I served aboard her from 1999-2003. The ship was great and I have some good and bad memories of my service. She was the only ship I served on during my stint in the Navy.

I wasn't able to make it down to the ceremony, but some of my former friends from those days did and had a good time.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/USS-N...118942484.html.
Go ahead, make me feel even older!
Old 11 Apr 12, 17:45
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300]
I was on Peleliu from '83-'85.
Old 15 Apr 12, 00:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I was on Peleliu from '83-'85.
I was on it for the WestPac in 85, April to September.
This class seems to have been retired before it's time. Aside from the exploding toilets, were there any major defects?
-The Exorcist

Old 15 Apr 12, 05:58
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300] OpanaPointer is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
I was on it for the WestPac in 85, April to September.
This class seems to have been retired before it's time. Aside from the exploding toilets, were there any major defects?
Besides having been built by Lytton Industries?
Old 19 Apr 12, 23:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon CWiE 1939-45 Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Besides having been built by Lytton Industries?
Remember the night they did some shore-bombardment practice?
I heard that it was cancelled in one hell of a hurry when they realized the rounds were falling on the wrong island.
Was in the Spring of 85, March maybe, any truth to that story?
-The Exorcist

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!