StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG's Guide to Free War, Combat, & Strategy Games Online'

Notices and Announcements

ACG's Guide to Free War, Combat, & Strategy Games Online' Here you will find games from throughout the world wide web.

Old 21 Sep 09, 22:47
Sergeant Major
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Looking for a WW2 browser game - Player v AI

I've had a quick look through the various threads here but still couldn't find what i am looking for.

I recently started playing WW2 Warfare (ww2.playcomet.com) and while it's a good way to pass time and is mildly entertaining, i never really liked the idea of being up against people who have undoubtedly spent alot more time playing it.
Anyone who can spend more time playing the game will typically be "better off" in-game. It just doesn't make for a good game for a casual gamer like myself.

That's why i am now looking for a browser game with similar features (building factories, training troops, researching upgrades etc).
But with the main focus being completing AI given tasks/missions.

Any ideas? Hopefully there is something out there...
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 13 Oct 09, 13:19
Private
Netherlands

teh345 is on the path to success [1-99]
battlefield heroes

Hi,

umm, its not completely about ww2, but you can see from the weapons and characters that its based on ww2, not that accurately portrayed, and geared more for someone that wants to play a multiplayer game, than a history buff who wants to see acurate tactics weapons etc. etc. . Try it see what you think.
Old 19 Oct 09, 21:48
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Wasn't sure anyone would reply here.

Had a quick look, unfortunately it's not really what i was looking for.

Firstly, it's an FPS - I was hoping for more of a text-based strategy game. (building up troops and the sort)
Secondly, it's a PvP game. I am trying to find a non-pvp game, preferrably one that doesn't need to be played often to be successful either. Which a game like this seems to require.

Last but not least, this is one of many games which give advantages to those who are willing/able to spend real money on in-game funds. Never been a fan of those, it just ruins the competition and skills are less important.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 06 Jan 10, 15:49
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Kuma Games is a first person game I play; you play aganst other online people it is free. You don't make factories, men, or vehicle, but i know of a game where you can do that it is online and free to it is called Sea of Fire and a second one Sea of Fire 2.

I hope this helps.

James
Old 06 Jan 10, 17:08
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I forgot there is one other it is called Axis & Allies it is a computer game, and you have to buy it. You do not have to have any experience to play because you are playing against the computer. It is WW2 you can have everything from tanks to paratroopers, and corp HQ to supply depot. There is differnt vertions of every thing.

James
Old 01 Feb 11, 14:39
First Lieutenant
New_Zealand
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Wasn't sure anyone would reply here.

Had a quick look, unfortunately it's not really what i was looking for.

Firstly, it's an FPS - I was hoping for more of a text-based strategy game. (building up troops and the sort)
Secondly, it's a PvP game. I am trying to find a non-pvp game, preferrably one that doesn't need to be played often to be successful either. Which a game like this seems to require.

Last but not least, this is one of many games which give advantages to those who are willing/able to spend real money on in-game funds. Never been a fan of those, it just ruins the competition and skills are less important.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
This is a very late reply to query but there is an excellent text PBEM WWII game at http://ww2thebigone.webs.com/.

At this stage Feb 2011 it is on hold as they recruit new members they are up to the invasion of France. It is a vast game and players who have committment would love this game. They have a hard core of players but need to replace some fly by nighters.
So if you are looking for a text WWII global game then this is the one for you.
Old 01 Feb 11, 22:10
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Company of Heroes is going online. I'm not sure if there is any single-player component planned for it or not, but I believe it has many of the criteria Nokturnal was looking for.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 02 Feb 11, 02:35
First Lieutenant
Canada
Model Forum Group Build 

Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99] Immelmann is on the path to success [1-99]
CoH does have full AI. The retail version is great, and it's dirt cheap now too.

The CoHO beta is closing at the end of March though. No word on when it'll be properly released, but it should be free.
Old 04 Feb 11, 10:36
Sergeant Major
UK

Firstly, thanks to all for trying to help more than a year after this thread was made - Definitely got some dedicated gamers here on ACG

It seems i wasn't able to make it clear what i was looking for though. Which is understandable considering to this day i've not found any game which fills to the role.

Basically i was after just a simple browser-based game (meaning no background applications or game purchasing required) which allowed the player to play against AI, and required no interaction with other players - Even better would of been a game not even involving other players.

Whether in the style of a grand-strategy game like Making History/Hearts of Iron or just a simple text based game that didn't even bother with a map or accurate representation of units/forces for specific nations and instead just required the player to have X number of units before they could attempt to beat mission 1, and progressing from there - Something to pass the time at work, having to build a few buildings which increased resource flow, and spend that to upgrade technology to get the better units then train them up and so on.

The reason for not wanting to interact with other players is because with games that are PvP, those with more time to waste (and money in some cases) tend to have an advantage over other players, and a lot of these games more or less end after being beaten by one of the better players. Which results in the time spent building up and playing, a complete waste.

Which is exactly what happened with the game i mentioned in my first post - Although it did have the player v AI part, it was purely for income/experience points and the main goal was still defeating other players...Something i was, apparently, not skilled or devoted enough to achieve.

A few notes on the suggestions given:

Johnny_Reb - Sea of fire was a good way to pass the time, i actually stumbled onto it a while ago after playing two similar games on the same website. Links below incase anyone else is interested.
Warfare 1917 - http://armorgames.com/play/2267/warfare-1917
Warfare 1944 - http://armorgames.com/play/4071/warfare-1944
No base building, just troop management and the choice of placement/when to hop an obstacle - Neither these nor sea of fire were exactly what i was looking for, but still fun for a while.

As for Kuma Wars - I'm still waiting on Mackie to give his opinion on that (hint hint..) but being an FPS i wouldn't be able to play it at work anyway.

Baztanz - I do remember hearing about that game somewhere (might of even been here) but i dismissed it based on the fact it focuses on player interaction and the play by email method never really appealed to me. I'd rather be able to pick up/put down a game when i felt like it and wouldn't of wanted people relying on me as i might be busy for a few weeks and unable to play.

LongBlade & Immelmann - CoH Online is a proper RTS game, and not exactly something i could get away with playing at work. Also after getting into Theatre of War/Combat Mission style RTS games i'm not really able to play the arcadey RTS games anymore, too much clicking required...It was a great game back in the day though.
It's probably also worth mentioning they actually announced that it has been cancelled a couple of days ago. Can't remember where i read it but a quick google found this.
Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...line-cancelled

That being said, yes it does have base building and does feature AI, so if they had made a text-based CoH i would of signed up on day 1.

Anyway thanks again for the suggestions folks, but i've given up on the search now - Haven't got as much free time at work these days, and after work i struggle to stay up to date with Arma 2 so a new game wouldn't be a wise decision.
Old 07 Feb 11, 11:45
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
LongBlade & Immelmann - CoH Online is a proper RTS game, and not exactly something i could get away with playing at work. Also after getting into Theatre of War/Combat Mission style RTS games i'm not really able to play the arcadey RTS games anymore, too much clicking required...It was a great game back in the day though.
It's probably also worth mentioning they actually announced that it has been cancelled a couple of days ago. Can't remember where i read it but a quick google found this.
Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...line-cancelled
Ah, I hadn't realized you were looking for a time-killer at work. Off the top of my head, nothing comes to mind that would fit that bill in a WWII setting.

Thanks for the news that it's been canceled. I'm not following gaming news that closely these days. Frankly, this doesn't surprise me. There are a *lot* of games trying to be free-to-play and I just don't know how many the market can support. I understand the temptation - you control the code so no one can pirate it from your servers. But by giving it away, you run a real risk of no one buying it (or at least a reduced audience). I'm just not sure this is the best strategy. For some games/audiences it could work. For others...not so much.

There is a game out there that's browser based, but not anything close to WWII. Might & Magic Heroes Kingdoms is a game that, at least initially, you give orders in about five minutes, then sit back and wait. It would be a good game you could play at work because the orders unfold over time. You do something for a few minutes, then come back three hours later and follow up. This makes it pretty much ideal as a time-killer, but won't suck you in for hours at a time. The downside is that in the early game, you're literally going to only have about five minutes of gameplay. Later in the game it may suck up more time (I've only played the early game in beta). It's worth checking out if you're still looking for something free, simple, and won't suck you in for half the day.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Sponsored Links

Old 08 Feb 11, 11:41
Corporal
Israel

Nonynon is on the path to success [1-99]
There's also this ww1 game:
http://www.supremacy1914.com/
Old 06 Mar 11, 02:23
Recruit
United_States

jumper17 is a balanced individual [0]
I love supremacy 1914 !
Old 10 Mar 11, 08:38
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99]
This isnt exactly what you want, its called PG Forever, but its fun to play. I stumbled across on one of the forums, possibly this one, cant remember. Anyways its what I play at work (at lunch) and it installs easily and its free. The explosion sounds can get on the nerves a bit so I turn the sound off.

http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45039

J_S

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!