HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Medieval Era

Notices and Announcements

The Medieval Era Discussions on Knights and Crusaders, and all things medieval!

Old 19 Jul 04, 09:41
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lightbulb Admin: Scope Of The "Medieval" Subforum

What is the scope of this subforum?

Short version: 450 AD through 1450, Europe and areas affected by it, only.

Everything in Europe (and the immediate area) from the defeat of Attila at Chalons (453 AD) through the fall of Constantinople in 1453 AD. It should be Euro-focused. Asians and overseas colonies have their own forum, but Viking raids and settlements (including Vinland) belong here.

453 AD is frequently seen as the beginning of the "Early Middle Ages" (formerly called the "Dark Ages"). Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, but I have rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/

Last edited by Admiral; 03 Nov 05 at 01:36..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Nov 05, 12:49
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500] R.N. Armstrong is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos

Short version: beginning of time from 450 AD through 1450, Europe and areas affected by it, only.

Everything in Europe (and the immediate area) from the defeat of Attila at Chalons (453 AD) through the fall of Constantinople in 1453 AD. It should be Euro-focused. Asians and overseas colonies have their own forum, but Viking raids and settlements (including Vinland) belong here.

453 AD is frequently seen as the beginning of the "Early Middle Ages" (formerly called the "Dark Ages"). Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, but I have rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS
So, where does one go to discuss Samurai warfare?
Old 05 Nov 05, 00:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong
So, where does one go to discuss Samurai warfare?
It kind of gets lumped in here, but perhaps the moderators could create a medieval far eastern subforum.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 06 Nov 05, 00:35

I sorta answered this - in so many words on the other thread -- but anyway, the way board structure works here - is we as moderators get a set of guidelines from the Admins - (in the specific case in this area - these areas were set up by Janos -which was aways back).

Anyways ... the process is that (while following the general guidelines -- basically - "less is more" & the more important one -- "would there be enough board traffic to justify..." - if we have a structure idea - we have to pass it by the admins - as no moderators have the board permissions set to create folders - we can only ask for them - new ones, combined one, renamed ones -etc - but an admin has to actually do it.

~Now, for the record - I don't think Admiral (And I know I'm not and I imagine Avalon agrees) ... I doubt anyone here is married to these areas - and I want to at least make note of the this being the largest ( in timespan) area of any of the history folders on here -- it is (to a point) challenging- to come up with effective topics to cover everything.

There was a board restructuring thread somewhere - I think I removed the 'sticky' awhile back as it seemd to be getting a massive collective yawn from everyone - but I think that this is a community site/area - if anyone has suggestions about structuring - I'd say go for it - suggest away -

~Steve
Old 16 Apr 09, 13:06
First Sergeant
United_States

Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99]
I usually date the Dark Ages from 410 (advent of the "barbarian" tribes, Visigoths sack Rome for the 1st time, Romans withdraw from Britian) to the end of the Wars of the Roses in 1485. But, meh,that's just me.
Old 16 Apr 09, 13:41
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
I usually date the 'Dark Ages' from 400-1000
using the Battle of hastings as the start of the Early Medeival period
Old 16 Apr 09, 13:55
First Sergeant
United_States

Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99] Knight-Errant is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
Hmm, well, for me, the early medieval period ends with the success of the 1st Crusade in 1099. It's one of the major, if not the major, paradigm change of the medieval period. Before Pope Urban called for a holy war, Europe was plagued by incessant wars with each other and masterless knights actling as raiders, brigands and pirates, while the Church's threats of excommunication were rendered mute. The 1st Crusade's promise of plunder and absolution of sin, however, gave rise to the idea and promotion of chivalry, restored the influence of the church, increased the deterioration of the Byzantine empire, brought a small measure of stability to the European kingdoms, and put the West in first-hand contact with the Muslim world, albeit usually not under the best cirucmstances.
Old 17 Apr 09, 04:05
General of the Forums
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight-Errant View Post
Hmm, well, for me, the early medieval period ends with the success of the 1st Crusade in 1099. It's one of the major, if not the major, paradigm change of the medieval period. Before Pope Urban called for a holy war, Europe was plagued by incessant wars with each other and masterless knights actling as raiders, brigands and pirates, while the Church's threats of excommunication were rendered mute. The 1st Crusade's promise of plunder and absolution of sin, however, gave rise to the idea and promotion of chivalry, restored the influence of the church, increased the deterioration of the Byzantine empire, brought a small measure of stability to the European kingdoms, and put the West in first-hand contact with the Muslim world, albeit usually not under the best cirucmstances.
Its Manzikert in 1071 for me, but I think consensus for the late 11th century is agreed upon .
Old 20 Oct 09, 18:34
Sergeant Major
United_States

alanus is on the path to success [1-99] alanus is on the path to success [1-99] alanus is on the path to success [1-99]
For me, this period actually began in August, 378, at Adrianople. The rapid change in European culture and tactical mindset was ushered in by this one important event, perhaps the period culminating in 1099. The old historians called the Battle of Adrianople the beginning of the "Thousand Years of the Mounted Knight." A simplification, yet partially true.

"We're all the same inside," Jackie Chan
Old 03 Nov 09, 22:53
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

FM Harvey is on the path to success [1-99] FM Harvey is on the path to success [1-99] FM Harvey is on the path to success [1-99]
Dark Ages; Sack of Rome in 410 ME by the Visigoths until the creation of the Holy Roman Empire and the reforms attempted by Charlemagne which I think begins the High Middle Ages and the ends the Dark Ages.

Harvey

http://harveylevy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Jan 10, 21:01
Sergeant Major
United_States

alanus is on the path to success [1-99] alanus is on the path to success [1-99] alanus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM Harvey View Post
Dark Ages; Sack of Rome in 410 ME by the Visigoths until the creation of the Holy Roman Empire and the reforms attempted by Charlemagne which I think begins the High Middle Ages and the ends the Dark Ages.
Harvey
This moves it back from Atilla's defeat, but 410 was the aftermath of August 9, 378. I'm inclined to agree with Professor Barberri, who places the Battle of Adrianople as the singular turning point in the history of Europe. The date signifies the beginning of the Roman Empire's decline.

And if we want to see men in typical "Medieval" armor, we can look no further than Ammianus Marcellinus' description of the cavalry in Constantius' 357 triumph at Rome.

"We're all the same inside," Jackie Chan
Old 08 Jan 11, 12:31
Lance Corporal
Armchair_General

Sultan Hamuddin is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post

Short version: 450 AD through 1450, Europe and areas affected by it, only.

JS
If it is Euro-focused, so where can I discuss Saladin's conquest and the crusade where Saladin involved?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!