HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Medieval Era

Notices and Announcements

The Medieval Era Discussions on Knights and Crusaders, and all things medieval!

Old 11 Feb 10, 12:17
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
London!!!!
Hope I'll make it back in February 2011 on my 10th wedding aniversary.

Old 24 Mar 10, 18:25
Sergeant
UK

Balloonatic is on the path to success [1-99] Balloonatic is on the path to success [1-99]
The Hereford Mappa Mundi is fairly fascinating, the animals etc are really interesting whilst the orientation of the map with Jerusalem in the centre and everything distorted to fit around it is very strange. I remember looking at it when I was at university and the lecturer talking about the way that medieval maps modified their view of the world to suit their beliefs, that they weren't necessarily meant to be literal interpretations (which explains the way the world is broken into a t-shape) but tied into various religious ideas and so on.

Did I mention I love maps? Maps, maps, maps!
Old 25 Mar 10, 15:09
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Welcome aboard mate. Feel free to share any particular site you may enjoy.

Old 14 Sep 12, 18:11
Sergeant Major
United_States

Gencallan has disabled reputation
Y Somme Picardie France 1490

I have run across this name & date a few times as to where a number of Welch Knights were killed. What's this all about?
Old 15 Sep 12, 02:25
Lieutenant General
Australia
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300] BELGRAVE is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonatic View Post
The Hereford Mappa Mundi is fairly fascinating, the animals etc are really interesting whilst the orientation of the map with Jerusalem in the centre and everything distorted to fit around it is very strange. I remember looking at it when I was at university and the lecturer talking about the way that medieval maps modified their view of the world to suit their beliefs, that they weren't necessarily meant to be literal interpretations (which explains the way the world is broken into a t-shape) but tied into various religious ideas and so on.

Did I mention I love maps? Maps, maps, maps!
Seconded, the Mappa Mundi in the care of Hereford Cathedral is a must see for anyone visiting the City.
"History haunts even generations who refuse to (acknowledge it). Rhythms,patterns,continuities,drift out of long time forgotten to mould the present and to colour the shape of things to come". Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Sep 12, 02:30
Lance Corporal
Egypt

TheKnight is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goairforce8 View Post

Date:1559

heres a map made by Hadji Ahmed, there is evidenced that he found Phoenician scrolls that had be lost for centuries. Some historians say the the Phoenicians mapped the earth long ago with very accurate bearings.
Suppsed arabic speaker, can't read what's above the map !
Old 04 Jul 13, 03:40
Recruit
United_States

Koreavet68 is a balanced individual [0]
Celts in Austria

I read where the Celts had been taken as slaves to what is Austria today. They've found ancient cave dwellings in the mountains around Austria. They migrated north to the coast at Normandy them over to England. Accordingly, making England Welch but given the name Britons by the Romans who could not conquer all of the island. At the time there were fare skinned and dark skinned Celts. They had divided up the island into separate kingdoms for century's. They had learned from the Austrians how to set up a 'feudal' system of ruling the land, leaving behind large mounds or hilltops. Building on the high ground to give the 'lords' a natural advantage to prevent surprise attacks. There always seemed to be a 'turf' war among the different tribes of Celts. But as recent finds have uncovered bounty from far away lands, proving their raiding other country's like the Vikings had done. Celtic history is very old pre Christian B.C., later incorporating pagan ritual with Christian ideals.
Old 03 Feb 14, 22:59
Private
United_States

ArthursArmory is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks, that map resource is bloody brilliant

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!