StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Battlefields and Museums

Notices and Announcements

Battlefields and Museums Visited a battlefield or museum lately? Share your thoughts impressions here.

Old 25 Jan 06, 19:54
Major General
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200]
D-Day Museum needs your support more than ever.

As many of you know the National D-Day Museum has been going through renovations to make this great Museum bigger and better able to support all theaters of operations from World War Two. Although it is called the D-Day Museum it covers all fronts of the war including the home front as well.
Recently the museum had a set back due to Hurricane Katrina, the museum took the punishment and is still standing.
Now more than ever they need our help to get this project rolling again. Upon completion, the 282 million dollar expansion will fulfill the museums mission and Congessional mandate as the countrys National World War Two Museum.

Please visit www.ddaymuseum.org and help out any way you can. Visit the store and you will find many nice items including shirts, hats, posters, collectibles and many other great items.

Please feel free to PM me any questions you may have, I have been a charter member for over two years and will assist in any way I can.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Jan 06, 15:35
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
I might recommend looking at the posters available for purchase in their online store. Great WW2 era posters available at really good prices.
Old 27 Jan 06, 15:46
Supreme Ruler of the Universe
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Or you can buy a "Cricket" by the original manufacturer! Cool!

Dr. S.
Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk
Old 23 Feb 06, 01:54
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What's a cricket Doc?
Slug
Old 23 Feb 06, 05:41
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug
What's a cricket Doc?
Slug
It's a little clicker noise-maker that the airborne guys carried on their drop as a friend-or-foe identifier. Check out The Longest Day -- it's a great movie anyway.

PS - Nice girl.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 06 Mar 06, 20:28
General of the Forums
United_States
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeping death
As many of you know the National D-Day Museum has been going through renovations to make this great Museum bigger and better able to support all theaters of operations from World War Two. Although it is called the D-Day Museum it covers all fronts of the war including the home front as well.
Recently the museum had a set back due to Hurricane Katrina, the museum took the punishment and is still standing.
Now more than ever they need our help to get this project rolling again. Upon completion, the 282 million dollar expansion will fulfill the museums mission and Congessional mandate as the countrys National World War Two Museum.

Please visit www.ddaymuseum.org and help out any way you can. Visit the store and you will find many nice items including shirts, hats, posters, collectibles and many other great items.

Please feel free to PM me any questions you may have, I have been a charter member for over two years and will assist in any way I can.

Thanks for your help.

Chad
I wanna go there sooooo bad... But I think New Orleans is either Off-limits to us because A. Katrina or B. Mardi Gras.... I'd take some leave in a heartbeat to go there.....

But I'll donate some $$$ to help them out... Better I see a complete, undamaged museum...

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte
Old 11 Aug 06, 16:54
Lance Corporal
United_States

Uber-Pig is on the path to success [1-99]
The D-Day Museum looks great, it's sad to see it hit tough times. I'll gladly support it though. It's well worth the money to have such a place both for history buffs, and to educate the public as well. Plus, it may help bring some more people back to New Orleans for travel/leisure.
Old 23 Dec 07, 18:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100] Whiterook has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I'm a Charter Member and highly encourage all to make a donation a yearly deal. What better way to honor our fathers, family, or acquaintences who served.
Old 23 Aug 08, 09:59
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
What's a cricket Doc?
Slug
If that photo was a cricket put me on the list I'll have one! ( It's only your body that gets old Yer know!!)
Old 01 Jan 09, 16:35
Private
United_States

Earl Malizia is on the path to success [1-99]
I visited the American Cemetery at Anzio_Nettuno in Italy last year. Very beautiful. Almost 8000 Americans are buried there. Several 504th PIR are there. Some of the names mentioned in Ross Carter's book..{Those Devils In Baggy Pants}are also buried there. Earl...A World War II Veteran.
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Dec 09, 23:46
Staff Sergeant
England

charlieboy is on the path to success [1-99] charlieboy is on the path to success [1-99]
re the cricket
i remember the scene well, american paratrooper using his cricket in the dense woods to get attention from his mates, a german soldier hears the noise puts a round in his kar98
it sounds like the cricket sound? ''click click'' the paratrooper stands up and the german shoots him
Old 26 Jan 10, 00:23
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

KingMississippi is on the path to success [1-99] KingMississippi is on the path to success [1-99] KingMississippi is on the path to success [1-99] KingMississippi is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes please do whatever you can to support the musuem. Na good friend of mine is working there and he has my dream job. Goes all around the US and even to Europe taking oral histories of those heroes who remain.

Napoleonic Wars
PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN
Old 27 Jan 10, 21:59
Colonel
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

asterix is a jewel in the rough [500]
asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500] asterix is a jewel in the rough [500]
I went there about a year before Katrina hit. I'm sorry to say I wasn't impressed with it at all. I've seen private museums in farmers barns in Normandy that impressed me more. Then, perhaps I should preface that by saying that I view anything remotely associated with Stephen Ambrose with a good deal of suspicion.

That said, i wish the museum luck and hope it survives, and improves. I'm just glad to enjoy the French Quarters of NO even more.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!