StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members > Navy

Notices and Announcements

Navy ACG member service in the Navy of any nation.

Old 13 Dec 09, 06:54
Major General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
RCN/Maritime Command service

As requested by Admiral

Anyone out there with service in the Royal Canadian Navy and it's descendent Maritime Command of the Canadian Forces?

To start:

I reported to Canadian Forces Base Cornwallis for basic training in July 86.

Have served on HMC Ships IROQUOIS (multiple times), ATHABASKAN (multiple times), ALGONQUIN, HALIFAX, SKEENA, and PROTECTEUR. Amongst other operations took part in Op Friction (Canadian component of Op Desert Shield/Storm), Op Sharp Guard (Yugoslavia sanctions), Op Allied Force (Kosovo), and Op Apollo (Canadian naval component of the GWOT).

Still serving and just completed my latest sea posting as Combat Chief of HMCS ATHABASKAN this past August. Currently sailing a desk at Maritime Forces Atlantic HQ.

I was with the last group at recruit training to get issued the 'standard' CF uniform; the all service greens

But my first ship, IROQUOIS, was deploying as NATO flag ship, so I was on the first ship to be issued the new, proper, naval uniform

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Dec 09, 18:30
Lance Corporal
Canada

S.P.Q.R is on the path to success [1-99]
I completed my BMQ in St. Jean, Quebec in October and i've been stationed out here in Esquimalt, B.C. since then for my training.

Haven't served on any ships yet, as i've only been out here for about 2 months, but I did get a chance to work on the HMCS Winnipeg for a week while I was on PAT, and that was a nice experience.

I'm from Halifax originally(Well, just outside Halifax), and i'm really hoping that when I finish my 3's in March i'll get posted back East.
Old 16 Dec 09, 18:51
Major General
Canada

Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600] Roadkiller is simply cracking [600]
Welcome aboard!

What trade are you training for?

When I was a PAT, we played a lot of sports and polished all the brass on the base
Old 17 Dec 09, 10:03
Lance Corporal
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
Welcome aboard!

What trade are you training for?

When I was a PAT, we played a lot of sports and polished all the brass on the base
Marine Electrician. I worked as an electrician for 3 years on Civie Street so it seemed like the logical choice. Now that i'm in, I find out that apparently it's very, very different, haha.

Usually what they do now is if you're going to be on PAT for an extended period of time, they'll try as best they can to get you posted to a ship, so you can start getting some actual experience. One of the guy's I came in with from Basic isn't going to be starting his 3's until the end of August(That's what he gets for being a Hull Tech!), so he found out 2 days ago that he's getting posted to the HMCS Calgary until then.
Old 17 Dec 09, 11:04
Major General
Canada

So, get a Naval Environment Training Program (NETP) course done then go to sea for a few months working in the scullery! Welcome to the navy Mind you, there's no down side to getting a few months of sea pay.

And yes, everything is different. Even jobs that "might" look identical on paper to a civilian equivalent will not demand that the civilian be able to fight fires, plug leaks, perform first aid on an injured comrade and as concurrent activity, peform their regular duties.

There was a bad recruiting campain in the 80's with the tag line "There's no life like it!" While corny, it is true.
Old 19 Dec 09, 10:16
Lance Corporal
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
So, get a Naval Environment Training Program (NETP) course done then go to sea for a few months working in the scullery! Welcome to the navy Mind you, there's no down side to getting a few months of sea pay.

And yes, everything is different. Even jobs that "might" look identical on paper to a civilian equivalent will not demand that the civilian be able to fight fires, plug leaks, perform first aid on an injured comrade and as concurrent activity, peform their regular duties.

There was a bad recruiting campain in the 80's with the tag line "There's no life like it!" While corny, it is true.
Haha well that's not how it's going for me. I'll have my 3's completed before I go to sea, as I start my 3's course as soon as I get back from Leave. Personally though I think I would have liked to have gotten some time in at sea before I started my 3's though, as I think that would really give me a leg up over some of the other guys.

That's like what one of my roommates in the shacks did. He got there awhile before I did, and since his 3's wasn't gonna be starting till January, they put him on the Calgary and he was with them while they did a 2 or 3 month tour down to South America.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!