StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 15 Dec 08, 11:54
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99] BKnight3 is on the path to success [1-99]
EvE Online, one of the best MMORPGs

IMHO, EvE Online is one of the best MMORPG's out there. One single international server populated by about 250000 people and counting, in a rich, diverse, spacefaring game. Massive, epic fleet battles occur in lawless space of over 1000 participants happen on occasion, and even populate the server so much that nodes have been known to crash due to the masses. A complex, diverse universe with economics, history, politics, trade, and perpetual war, this game has been going strong since 2003 and has gained numerous awards. Communities of role players band together to create a wonderful multiplayer experience. Huge alliances, corporations of pirates, traders, and navies roam EvE, its hard to get bored.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.xfire.com/video/4e536/

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43299.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35321.html

Keep in mind that yes, the majority of the graphics are just as they are in the trailers, some actions however, have been dramatized (there is no crashing in EvE).

And a nice holiday season contest open to everyone in EvE.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_eve/

If interested please reply to this post. The trial is free, and has now been extended from 14 days to 21. Try it out, and see if its the MMORPG you're looking for. If it is, please refer me as your buddy in the buddy program.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 15 Dec 08, 13:17
Recruit
England

jc1960 is a balanced individual [0]
link

thanks for the link new to all this so we will see how it goes!
Old 15 Dec 08, 18:49
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
it really is the biggest sandbox game out there
Old 15 Dec 08, 23:58
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
I found it extremely confusing and difficult when i tried the trial. it does seem to be very interesting and if i understood it better i think it woud be one of the best MMORPGs. But i guess ill stick with WoW
Old 16 Dec 08, 06:59
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
I found it extremely confusing and difficult when i tried the trial. it does seem to be very interesting and if i understood it better i think it woud be one of the best MMORPGs. But i guess ill stick with WoW
Did you do the tutorial?

If you didn't, or even if you did, try it again, afaik they improved it in the last expansion. And regardless, this is the game where you HAVE to do the tutorial.
Old 16 Dec 08, 08:18
Colonel
Estonia

Here's a nice pic of the scale of eve ships

Note the eiffel tower in the lower left corner for scale.
Old 16 Dec 08, 11:54
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Jim H. Moreno has disabled reputation
I have to second that comment about the tutorial. This is NOT one of those where you wanna just jump in and start playing. It is imperative you play fully through the tutorial! But there is indeed a rich and deep elegance here that no other MMORPG on the market today can match.
Old 16 Dec 08, 13:22
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
I have to second that comment about the tutorial. This is NOT one of those where you wanna just jump in and start playing. It is imperative you play fully through the tutorial! But there is indeed a rich and deep elegance here that no other MMORPG on the market today can match.
Just too add Balance to the discussion

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...208-Eve-Online
(Warning the odd naughty word ahead)

I do have a copy of Eve, However I brought it before I realised you have to subscribe. At which point I lost all interest.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 21 Dec 08, 23:36
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200] Jay217 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Did you do the tutorial?

If you didn't, or even if you did, try it again, afaik they improved it in the last expansion. And regardless, this is the game where you HAVE to do the tutorial.
Are you saying they improved the tuitorial? For me it when i was playing the tuitorial was going a lil slow but i was ok with it and then after it hit mining ores i couldnt keep up or understand. After a while i went back did it all and i cant remember if i was stuck (not understanding what it said) or that i was finished the tuitorial. im using memories i have of it from the summer and i only tried it 2 days and gave up. Since its Winter break and i got nothing to do i may try to play it again if they upgraded the tuitorial.
Old 22 Dec 08, 05:19
Colonel
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay217 View Post
Are you saying they improved the tuitorial? For me it when i was playing the tuitorial was going a lil slow but i was ok with it and then after it hit mining ores i couldnt keep up or understand. After a while i went back did it all and i cant remember if i was stuck (not understanding what it said) or that i was finished the tuitorial. im using memories i have of it from the summer and i only tried it 2 days and gave up. Since its Winter break and i got nothing to do i may try to play it again if they upgraded the tuitorial.
yeah, i think they did. Not sure when though.
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Dec 08, 21:06
General
United_States

sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hey, this looks pretty cool... I'm not sure why I've never given it a try.

How are the flight controls? (Please tell me it's not all mouse-driven... point-and-click...)
Old 22 Dec 08, 05:18
Colonel
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpup View Post
Hey, this looks pretty cool... I'm not sure why I've never given it a try.

How are the flight controls? (Please tell me it's not all mouse-driven... point-and-click...)
It is, you double click into space and your ship flies into that direction. How much sense would it make to use a joystick to fly a 1.2km battleship?
Old 22 Dec 08, 10:11
General
United_States

sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500] sickpup is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
It is, you double click into space and your ship flies into that direction. How much sense would it make to use a joystick to fly a 1.2km battleship?
How much sense does it make to use a point-and-click interface to fly a space fighter?
Old 22 Dec 08, 10:17
Colonel
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpup View Post
How much sense does it make to use a point-and-click interface to fly a space fighter?
You don't fly space fighters. Smallest craft are frigates, about the length of the jumbo jet, usually much larger in overall volume.

There are one man space fighters but those are used as automatic drones launched from the carrier.

The point and click interface is actually worked into the backstory, whatever the player sees is what he actually sees in game as well, as he is hooked up into a command pod inside his vessel, and thus is commanding the ship as he would in a giant computer game..

Regardless, even if you could use joystick controls, and trust me, it has been asked a lot during the five years, it wouldn't matter much as all guns have 180 degree firing arcs and are automatically directed, all missiles are guided. High grade maneuvers can serve some purpose, but they can be easily accomplished by a point and click interface.
Old 10 Jan 09, 21:14
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100] A7V has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I really really wanted to enjoy this game but the learning curve was way to steep for me.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!