HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Console Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Console Gaming One stop for all your console related discussions!

Old 27 May 08, 10:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hey, Nintendo games aren't just for kids!

I bought a Nintendo DS several months ago, but all this time I've been nervously steering clear of all the cutesy-looking kids' games. I'm 53, and I'm usually a stuffed shirt, so Chessmaster and such appeal to me, but of course I'd never even glance at something like Pokemon without dismissing it with a derisive sniff. Cutesy things like that are obviously just for kids.

Actually, before I bought mine, I bought a DS for my wife, because she was interested in Brain Age. I also got her a Tetris game (which she used to like). And just for fun, I got her a copy of Super Mario Bros. (thought it'd make her smile, and maybe she'd even try it just for kicks). But she never played anything but Brain Age.

So, this past weekend, I was bemoaning the fact that all my games are turn-based, and I was looking for a change of pace. Then I remembered Super Mario Bros, and I dug it up and tried it.

What a game! It's a ton of fun. I'm just barely getting the hang of it, and I'm sure there are tricks I've yet to discover. But I was pleasantly surprised to find my dexterity and hand-eye coordination were up to the task.

Actually, I liked it so much that I've ordered a copy of Mario Kart (one of the highest-rated DS games of all). And I'm now seriously looking at games like Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass and Castlevania. Who knows -- I may even find myself playing Pokemon one of these days.

The possibilities for gaming really open up when you stop being such a stick-in-the-mud.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 May 11, 09:08
Sergeant
United_States

US Army 2442 is on the path to success [1-99]
DS arnt just for kids like love the DS and its many good games aswell.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!