StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II

Notices and Announcements

Armor in World War II Discuss all aspects & disciplines of World War II Armor here.

Old 30 Sep 17, 14:46
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Contenders for best Light tank of WW2?

Which do you think are the contenders for best light tank of WW2?

A 'light' tank is one that is used for scouting, screening and otherwise supporting other elements. Scouting and screening are self-explanatory, but other roles include the Stuarts role of using 37mm canister shot to remove the threat of Japanese infantry kamikazi charges against Shermans.

The tank need not be initially designed as such, but used in that role, often because they were obsolete as mediums....

The short list should include imho:

Panzer II Luchs
Panzer 38t
M3/5 Stuart
M24 Chaffee
Light Tank Mk VI
Valentine
Fiat L6/40
BT-7
T-70
Type 95 Ha-Go
Hotchkiss H35

The wiki list is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...II_light_tanks

The slow Valentine and H35 may initially seem out of place, but the far heavier Cromwells equipped the recce regiments of the British Armoured Divisions?

So which do you think are the contenders for best 'light' tanks of WW2.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Sep 17, 17:52
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
My first thought the US M24 .

With its 75 mm gun it is the most powerful. It is the most modern looking for what that's worth.

I think we need to say what is most important in a scout vehicle. This could vary by nation.

In the US cavalry squadrons the light tank company along with the assault gun company provided the heavy punch.

US cavalry squadrons did much more than just scout. They screened enemy formations. They captured distant objectives. Provided quick reaction forces. For all these firepower is very beneficial.

For now I'll go with the M24. Good firepower, and mobility. Light in armor, but that is the price you pay with a light tank.

Last edited by 17thfabn; 30 Sep 17 at 22:19..
Old 30 Sep 17, 19:00
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
My first thought us the US M24 .

With its 75 mm gun it is the most powerful. It is the most modern looking for what that's worth.

I think we need to say what is most important in a scout vehicle. This could vary by nation.

In the US cavalry squadrons the light tank company along with the assault gun company provided the heavy punch.

US cavalry squadrons did much more than just scout. They screened enemy formations. They captured distant objectives. Provided quick reaction forces. For all these firepower is very beneficial.

For now I'll go with the M24. Good firepower, and mobility. Light in armor, but that is the price you pay with a light tank.
Well, that's a hole in my WW2 armour knowledge. I have no idea of the OOB of US cavalry squadrons? I do have probably the best book on British recce units 'Only The Enemy in Front' here, but nothing on US recce units.
Old 30 Sep 17, 19:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Well, that's a hole in my WW2 armour knowledge. I have no idea of the OOB of US cavalry squadrons? I do have probably the best book on British recce units 'Only The Enemy in Front' here, but nothing on US recce units.
US armored cavalry squadrons had a light tank company of 13 vehicles. These were M5 and later replaced with M24.
Old 30 Sep 17, 19:39
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
US armored cavalry squadrons had a light tank company of 13 vehicles. These were M5 and later replaced with M24.
I was thinking of recce regiments, a battalion sized unit with a range of afv's. I'm sure the US had an equivalent.

British recce regiments were basically an infantry battalion, mainly in armoured cars. Apart from being wheeled and having light armour, the main difference between its infantry equivalent and itself was firepower. Compared with a British infantry battalion, a recce regiment would have a huge increase in 2pdr guns and brens. While the 2pdr was relatively poor after the Battle of France, it was certainly very effective against all Axis recce afv's. Further, being motorised, limits on ammo that could be carried by a trooper were not limited, and sustained suppressive firepower was the norm. It gave the British the edge over its rivals in WW2, once these units were used properly.
Old 30 Sep 17, 22:58
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
U.S. Armored Cavalry Squadrons in World War II had five or six companies in World War II, dependent on if they were part of an Armored Division, or Cavalry Group.

Both had a tank company with 17 light tanks. For most of the war they had M5 Stuart Tanks. Late in the war they started getting M24 tanks.

They had an assault gun company with 6 (8 in armored divisions) M8 75mm self propelled howitzers.

And 3 (4 in Armored Divisions) recon companies. These companies had jeep mounted troops and M8 armored cars. They were light on personnel . Had very good mobility and a large amount automatic weapons.

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com...y/cavalry.aspx

Last edited by 17thfabn; 30 Sep 17 at 23:05..
Old 30 Sep 17, 19:15
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Probably the M24 Chaffee, but it might be said that the entire concept of a "Light Tank" is a contradiction in terms. For screening and reconnaissance other vehicles may be more appropriate.
Old 01 Oct 17, 22:47
Lieutenant General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
https://www.amazon.com/World-Combat-...reconnaissance

Anything against Osprey?

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 02 Oct 17, 14:19
Major
United_States

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm not sure about the Axis when it comes down to light tanks. The Allies had a few that fit the bill. There's the Matilda for the British the U.S. had a couple the M3/M5 along with the M24 Chaffee along with the M22 Locust.
Old 02 Oct 17, 14:26
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Matilda and Valentine were Infantry Tanks with heavy armor. The Soviets used Valentines as Light Tanks because their Light Tanks were shredded in Combat. Were there ever enough Locust Tanks in Europe to use for Airborne Operations? The British were the only ones with a glider big enough to lift the Tetracht.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Oct 17, 22:51
Lieutenant General
France

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
My first thought the US M24 .

With its 75 mm gun it is the most powerful. It is the most modern looking for what that's worth...
The gun on the Chaffee was what came to my mind first as well. If you are out there it always helps to have a good HE punch if you run into trouble...this is in complete ignorance of typical recon tactics.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 01 Oct 17, 23:03
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The 75 main gun on the M-24 was a low pressure howitzer type. I believe the few that got to Korea saw their shells bounce off T-34-85's. It was also used in B-25's. It was better than the old 37mm gun, but it had no business going tank versus tank.

Pruitt

Old 01 Oct 17, 23:21
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200]
The M24's 75 mm gun M6 was ballistically identical to the Lee/Grant and Sherman's 75 mm gun M3...
Old 02 Oct 17, 00:19
France

If you look further you might find that the same cannon is better known as the French 1897, made famous in World War I. The 75 came in a M2 and 3 which went into the M3 series tank and M4 series tanks. The gun was also lightened and modified to be fitted into B-25's and the M-24 tank. The gun could penetrate Mark III's and Mark IV's up to the G model.

The M6 was better known as a Infantry Support weapon. Newer 75 and 76 guns were better at armor piercing.

Pruitt

Old 02 Oct 17, 12:01
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
The gun on the Chaffee was what came to my mind first as well. If you are out there it always helps to have a good HE punch if you run into trouble...this is in complete ignorance of typical recon tactics.
I'm wondering what the exact role of light tanks would be in a U.S. recon squadron? My impression is the recon platoons with their jeeps and M8 Greyhound armored cars would do the recon work.

The light tanks and M8 self propelled 75mm pack howitzer would hang back, and provide a heavier punch when the recon units got in trouble.

And the recon units where expected to do some fighting. For example when :

Screening enemy forces.

Anti-recon work.

Economy of force, where armored cavalry would cover a relative large defensive area to free up other units for offensive action.

For all these type missions more fire power is very helpful.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!