Old 17 Nov 12, 10:22
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
I've never thought it was anyone's job to test my scenarios, but Harpoon is a community (at least, the Harpooners I know feel that way). We talk to each other. We help each other out. We share ideas and techniques.
You say one thing but then immediately do the opposite. You claim that it isn't the players' job to test your scenario, then continue to put out scenarios that you do not test yourself and then encourage anyone gullible enough to try them to report problems. Problems are found (glaring ones, not spelling mistakes) and reported along with suggested corrective actions, you immediately ignore them, and ask for 'more folks to try the scenario.' That ongoing callous disregard for the time and effort of anyone willing to try your scenarios is abundantly clear throughout this thread.

You have no intention of ever fixing your scenarios. You simply seek adulation, high-fives, and handjobs. Since all you want are gushing remarks, you should just say so and then simply tell us what our opinions are so that we can repeat it back to you verbatim; that's the way things are done within the little in-bred 'community' at HarpGamer so I can see why you would think the same would happen here. Luckily, this is the real world and everyone is free to their own opinion.

Quote:
For example, I'm not a database editor. I have no official connection to Harpoon. I'm just another player. It's not my job to help, either, but I like Harpoon, and I do not mind helping out when I can by writing scenarios, reporting any bugs I catch, etc. It's just not a big deal to me. And I do test my scenarios, but I know that with something as complex as Harpoon that I might miss something, so I try not to get upset if someone finds a bug or an error that I missed. I report it and do whatever else I can to solve the problem. It's not my job. I just do it because I like to.
It's pretty obvious that your testing is either superficial or totally absent. The HUD database bugs being reported aren't grammatical typos as they often prevent a player from ever completing a scenario. They are THAT serious. It isn't just the matter of encountering bugs. Everyone can accidentally release a scenario with errors. However, your conduct towards bug reports can only be described as egregious and reprehensible. Instead of just Fixing the Damn Bugs and carrying onwards, all manner of speculation and excuse is offered:

i.e. "Maybe the bug is deliberate game behaviour?
If a weapon doesn't work, find another that does.
It will be fixed in the future."

This litany of excuses is proffered instead of just Fixing the Damn Bugs, an action which is fully within your control.

Quote:
If you feel that playing my scenarios is a waste of your time...you know, you don't have to play them. You've made it clear that you don't like the HUD-4 and you've said you aren't interested in helping improve it. Frankly, it seems a little silly for you to keep playing my scenarios if you're only doing it to see how soon you can quit.
Hubris was mentioned earlier in this thread and it appears, once again. You feel that these messages are intended solely for your personal benefit and nothing could be further from the truth. If you care to use them to fix your scenarios, that is fine. However, their primary intent is to warn unsuspecting players of the incredible bugginess in the HUD and its scenarios.

A player might start one of your scenarios, spend an hour or two planning and preparing his attack, and then run the game only to find that when his bombers arrive over the targe, his weapons will not launch! He climbs and dives desperately trying to find some way to release his ordnance all the while the AI is slaughtering him. After hours have been wasted, he ends the session in frustration. Who does he ask to explain this stuff? He might ask you, but he more likely asks me. In order to provide the best assistance possible, I need to know what he is talking about so I hold my nose and run the HUD scenarios. My greatest fear is that he might try an HUD scenario and think that all databases and scenarios are as buggy and unplayable.

The only reason the HUD4 doctrine of "Run to the First Bug" was developed was because I was one of the idiots who wasted hours trying to get a scenario to perform. Facing the HUD ordeal once is enough to justify such extreme measures.

Quote:
I'd like to get back to some real content here. Has anyone had a chance to play the whole scenario? If so, what did you think? Did you like the concept? How challenging was it? What could be done to make future scenarios better and more interesting?
Since I have not told you what want to hear, I suspect that you will follow your usual routine and throw a tantrum then claim that you have somehow been insulted before retreating back to HarpGamer so that you can speak badly about me and others. Here's some real content for you: fix your scenarios and someone might try them. You've been on every forum begging for someone to try your scenarios as if there was a 'right answer'. The only response you get is the typical handjob from the usual suspects (many of whom don't even play Harpoon!)

It is funny to note that every HUD author feels the need to go around begging for someone to try their database or scenarios. You are not the first. There was Buckley, Ralf, and now you. All went begging hat-in-hand for players only to be ignored. On the other hand, no PlayersDB author has ever felt the need to beg for users. We just make our stuff work and trust that the community will recognize the difference. Over 7 million scenario downloads to date far means that we are on the right track. So, I'll say it again: make your stuff work and someone might try it.

At this time:

1) None of the reported database bugs have been corrected within the HUD4 database.
2) Every HUD scenario is afflicted and none of the reported database bugs have been corrected for any of the associated scenarios.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Sponsored Links