View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 13, 01:49
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
I read as many journals and first hand accounts that I can. Also newspaper articles of the era. The more first hand accounts closer to the 19th Century the better. As an example, while Westler's "The Virginian" seems trite today, it was timely. Fiction written by men who were there is poignant and possibly closer to being true to life than fiction written to those who lived generations later. Twain is important, at least to establish a 19th Century point of view. Writers of the time tended to gloss over things that they were not proud of, but still the truth sometimes peeks through.

Later historians can interject modern mythology and dogma into their writings that muddles the reality of the era. Finding out what really happened is hard. Letters, journals and diaries written by people who experienced the day to day of the time are, in my view, not only the most important, but the most genuine as well.

Last edited by majormack; 10 Sep 13 at 02:02..