View Single Post
Old 03 Oct 07, 16:47
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
I wonder which, if any of this painters, ever saw any real action? Who were the war painters? Are there any known to us?
Edouard Detaille served in the French Imperial Army in the Franco-Prussian War ( 1870-1871 ). He obtained a staff position at the start of the war which would provide him with an indelible experience to observe the hostilities of war first hand.

Ernest Meissonier was attached by Napoleon III to the Imperial staff and accompanied him on two occasions: during the Franco-Austrian War ( Italian campaign of 1859 ) and at the beginning of the Franco-Prussian War. During the siege of Paris ( September 19, 1870 - January 28, 1871 ) he was colonel of a regiment de marche, one of the improvised units thrown up in the chaos after the fall of the French Second Empire.

"Bataille de la Moscova ( Borodino )" by Louis François, Baron Lejeune. As aide-de-camp to Marshal Berthier, he took an active part during the Napoleonic Era, which he made the subjects of an important series of battle paintings.

Last edited by Zouave; 28 Mar 09 at 20:15..