View Single Post
Old 07 Aug 16, 15:59
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
At the time, the $1.97th Infantry Brigade was not assigned to the 24th Infantry Division, it was an independent organization.
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the round out brigade, 48th Infantry Brigade GA ARNG, was replaced by 197th from FT Benning, not a Germany based unit as you stated.

Quote:
... The assignment of the 256th Infantry Brigade had been changed as the 5th Infantry Division had been deactivated. It had been re-assigned to the 2nd Armor Division.
In August 1990, 2nd AD still had 3 brigades, and 5th ID was still active. I'm showing 5th ID inactivation as November 1992.

Quote:
The 1st Cavalry was assigned the 155th Armor Brigade.
Yes, it took 1st Brigade, 2nd AD instead.

Quote:
There had also been assigned a number of Independent Battalions, but they did not go either. This harkens back to the days that heavy divisions had 11 combat (Armor and Infantry) battalions.
Yes. "Maneuver & Firepower: The Evolution of Divisions and Separate Brigades" gives a pretty good overview of the development. Both ROAD and AOE heavy divisions had a theoretical mix of 10 or 11 maneuver battalions, although the application was never the same as the theory.

Quote:
The 3rd and 8th Infantry Divisions also furnished individual replacements to fill out the units sent to Desert Storm. It would seem there were a number of Regular Units that were shorthanded. The 8th INFDIV had already been deactivated but still had men and battalions in Germany.
I'm tracking 8th ID inactivation as January 1992.

Quote:
The Regular Army did NOT want the Guard combat units with them. ... The level of training in these brigades had never been an issue before and the Regulars had always claimed they were adequate to face the Soviets in Europe.
Likely, but there were other issues, too. In a war of choice (as Desert Storm clearly was- Saddam retaining control of Kuwait would have had limited impact on the lives of most Americans) there is a different level of acceptance of risk of casualties than in an existential conflict like a potential WW3 in Europe.

Quote:
My suspicion was the three Guard Brigades at Fort Hood would have been used to furnish individual replacements if there would have been heavy casualties. I did not read that anywhere, it is my own personal suspicion.
Again, likely. Or formed and trained units as follow-on forces if required in the Middle East, or if something had kicked off in Korea.