View Single Post
Old 06 May 12, 22:49
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
I'm going to go totally from memory here. I know many of the pre M3/M4 tanks developed in the U.S. often had a dozen or so machine guns. Of course it was toned down a bit with the M4's hull, turret and co-ax, which was the trend for many tanks during the war. Guderian went on and on about the lack of a machine gun on the Elephant, which left it extremely vulnerable to Russian infantry. A tank's main purpose in WWII is attack against "soft" targets and the more guns toward this purpose the better.
The machine gun also allows the tank to defend itself against infantry at close range and aircraft.
Which one's are important and which ones can be done without? I would cheat and look at the trends of modern armor which must have been designed with previous conflicts in mind. In tanks today we see turret top machine guns and co-ax...co-ax on almost every tank made. I'm a little rusty on armor in 2012 but I recall reading that the Merkava had multiple mg's on the turret, as does the Abrams.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!