View Single Post
Old 03 Oct 17, 08:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Well its used the world over to stop people doing things like flying passenger aircraft. Would you quibble about allowing someone with a mental illness to operate a missile silo, handle nuclear warheads etc?
I believe everyone should have the right to nuclear weapons, so I'm not the best one to ask said question.

But more to the point is that "mental illness" is the fluid element here. Women who were unhappy with their marriages back when divorce was unthinkable could be labeled as mentally ill back in the day, but such definitions have changed.

The crux of the issue is the Constitution. Bearing arms is enshrined by America, for better or for worse depending on ones perspective. That puts it up there with other elements of the bill of rights like free speech.

An inverse of your question would be if you would quibble if the government decided that bipolar people should not be allowed to assemble peacefully.

It's not the right itself I was pointing out as an issue, just that in a world where homosexuality was consider mental illness only a short time ago (and still is to many), using such nebulous reasons for removing rights is a minefield in any direction.