View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 16, 11:12
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
... one can equate the terms "rational people" and "advanced civilization". The Aztecs, while able to construct large structures from stone, remained just that, a stone age culture. They had no pack animals, and apart from dogs, which they kept for food, had no domesticated mammals for food purposes, and despite some rudimentary metallurgy i.e. gold, they relied on obsidian for tools and weapons i.e. more stone. Their newly found empire collapsed in the face of relatively small numbers of technologically superior enemies from a well established, more stable society.

Were they advanced? I suppose, like early Rome, they borrowed from earlier and neighbouring societies, and rose to impose their will to become the most dominant civilization, in a land of stone age civilizations. That said, in comparative terms, in many ways they remain on a level lower than the dominant early modern societies/civilizations of Europe, the Far, Middle and Near East of the same period.

You might want to check out "Collapse - How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" & "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond
Perhaps an argument can be made that while the Aztecs were different from the Europeans and Arabs of the same time period...that the Aztecs in their own unique way built a tremendous civilization.

I take it you disagree with the following irt the warfare/meetings between the Aztecs and Spaniards.

These encounters brought about an inevitable culture change, more striking in the case of the indigenous world, but significant also in the case of the Europeans. The violent clash of two very advanced civilizations, which had not been in any form of communication before, was followed by a prolonged and uninterrupted process of interaction and exchange.

https://erc.europa.eu/projects-and-r...ansfer-new-wor

Now the above is from a professional researcher...and it is her...not I...who is suggesting

The violent clash of two very advanced civilizations, which had not been in any form of communication before,

Even though the Aztecs used stone to construct their buildings... Hernan Cortes still said wrt the lands of the Aztecs...this is the most richest and beautiful land there ever was.
Sponsored Links