View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 08, 07:46
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals Winner, 2008 

grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200] grognard is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Duffy View Post
I think most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are a few not listed yet:

A New Age Now Begins by Page Smith. 2 vol. Huge and encyclopedic but extremely readable and well written.

Rebels and Redcoats by Scheer and Rankin and Spirit of '76 by Henry Cammanger Steele (I think). Best for long passages from sontemporary sources

Redcoats and Rebels by Christopher Hibbert. The British story.

Battles of the American Revolution by Col. Henry Carrington. Written about 125 years ago, Carrington's work is still the best study of the strictly military aspects of the war.
Can't beat Carrington for the military aspects. I would add Boatner's encyclopedia of the revolution, the best ARW encyclopedia IMHO.

I didn't find Page Smith encyclopedic--not enough detail on the numbers, losses, OBs, etc.
Sponsored Links