View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 16, 10:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
There's rumors of an honest New Yorker, too.
Well, there are rumors . . . . .

Quote:
Back in those days you didn't need a badge to get away with murder.
You raise a fair point. Going on memory, I believe that it was Justice Taney -- of Dred Scott infamy -- who said that a black man possesses no rights which a white man is obliged to respect. Prosecutions of white men for offenses against blacks must have been few and far between -- North or South.

But that shield, that badge of office, carries a lot of weight. It's society's imprimatur of legal authority upon that officer. His word always carries more weight, and his conduct always enjoys the benefit of the doubt, above and beyond the average citizen. I've got to believe that for every Bull Connor who spoke publicly, or for every Dep Price who was convicted of participating in murder, there were many more who committed similar acts yet posterity knows virtually nothing of them. They basically got away with it.

Quote:
Keep in mind that in Detroit in a race riot in the early 1900s they hanged nearly 100 blacks without a single charge being levied.
Don't know about that one, but I recall hearing (again, going on memory, so correct my errors) that in pre-WW1 Chicago, a black boy wanting to swim at an all-white beach along Lake Michigan precipitated a riot which resulted in many casualties, though I don't recall the number.

Quote:
For that matter, 3000 people, mostly black, have been shot so far this year in Chicago. Less than 1 in 5 of the shooters will face criminal prosecution.
20%? NYS has long claimed a "solve" rate of 75%, and NYC 65%, though my data may be long outdated. How can CPD look themselves in the mirror with such a low solve rate?

Quote:
Until this incident no white had been found guilty of murdering a black in that state. You didn't need anything to get away with murder.
It was a sad state of affairs, to be sure, that rated some lives not quite as valuable as others, but that was the long and short of it for a very long time.