View Single Post
Old 30 May 14, 15:30
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
don't bite off more than you can chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCol View Post
Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" Have had all three volumes for years and been unable to get started...maybe on an island?
Haha, same here a bit like starting in Homer's Iliad.

What I did to break this deadlock was to read selected chapters from his book on ACW episodes that interested me.
E.g. after having watched 'Cold Mountain' I turned to Shelby Foote to find out more about the Battle of the Crater.
Smilarly I read up in Foote for background information on a Combat Decision Game set in the Battle of Mobile Bay ("Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead") here at ACG.

I invariably found Foote's narrative prose enlightening and enjoyable to read; like listening to a southern gentleman telling me war stories on his veranda over a mint julep

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.