View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 12, 20:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
This is a picture I took from my grandparents house on Lake Champlain in North Hero, VT in 1993. Looking west from the west shore of North Hero, one of the Champlain Islands, about two and a half miles across to New York State. This is the Western Main body of the Lake. In the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 the British ships would have been sailing to the left (South). The Battle of Valcour Island/Battle of Plattsburgh was fought about seven miles away as a bird flies, to the Southwest. When I was kid lying on the shore or out rowing in the lake I would sometimes imagine I was out on the lake back in one of the battles. It is the 400th anniversary of Champlain's "discovery" of the lake. Notice on the extreme left (South) of the picture the extreme north of the Adirondacks. Plattsburgh Air Force Base was about 6 or 8 miles to the southwest. Up until the 60's they had a Squadron of Titan ICBMs there. One of the Titans was siloed in Alburg, VT about 7 miles north northwest of here and a picture can be seen on the internet. After that it was an F111 base until the base closed/F111s were phased out. It was very exciting to see/hear the jets all the time. Plattsburgh was a huge army training base in WW I. About six miles to the northwest is location of Fort St. Anne, built by the French in 1666. This is in Isle La Motte, Vermont. This is where Theodore Roosevelt was when he received word that President McKinley had been shot.
Below is a picture of a crowd awaiting President Roosevelt in Burlington, VT in 1901. Later in the trip he was on Isle La Motte, VT when he found out President McKinley had been shot. Link to University of Vermont Landscape Changes Program.

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/search/...14bb21&AddRel=