View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 09, 08:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
St. Albans, VT Confederate Raid in 1864

I was doing a post on the Civil War forum when I remembered there was a Confederate raid from across the border on a town about 8 miles east northeast of this picture (looking behind and to the right), across North Hero Island and the eastern expanse of Lake Champlain. I looked up St. Albans raid on Wikipedia. The raid occurred on October 19, 1864. The raid was the northernmost land action of the war. Twenty one cavalrymen took part, Led by Bennett H. Young, he was an escaped POW who had fought in the Battle of Salineville,. The purpose was to raise money by robbing banks and to divert Union troops to the northern border. The raiders gathered over a period of a few days, telling people they were down from St. Johns, Quebec "on a sporting vacation". There were three bank robberies, $208,000 was stolen. One townsperson was killed, another wounded. The soldiers tried to burn the town down, but the four-ounce bottles of Greek fire they had brought failed to work, and only one shed was destroyed. There was a 1954 movie, The Raid, loosely based on this incident.

The raiders fled with the money into Canada (Quebec), where they were arrested by authorities. A court ruled they could not be extradited because they were soldiers acting under orders, and Canada was neutral.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 14 Aug 09 at 08:26.. Reason: Adding details