View Single Post
Old 03 Oct 17, 07:47
First Lieutenant
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100] Don Juan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Technically the best light tank was the M24 Chaffee, but this had minimal influence during the war.

For overall best light tank I would go for the M3/M5 Stuart. It was simple, had reasonable armour and armament for its class, but its best attribute was its durability - it could go 3500+ miles between overhauls, which meant that it was incredibly easy to operate in any theatre. Its worst aspect I think was its limited range, which was only about 50 miles in the desert, which is why the British were so keen to remove it from their armoured divisions and put it in a dedicated reconnaissance role.

The Valentine was in the same class as the M3/M5 when it came to simplicity to operate and overhaul life, but I don't think any army other than the Red Army would have used it in a light tank role.

I think the Panzer 38t is the other main contender here, but I'd like to see some actual figures as to its reliability and durability before judging it. German standards of reliability and durability were well below Allied standards, so just because they were impressed with it, doesn't mean anybody else would have been.