View Single Post
Old 02 Oct 17, 12:01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17thfabn has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
The gun on the Chaffee was what came to my mind first as well. If you are out there it always helps to have a good HE punch if you run into trouble...this is in complete ignorance of typical recon tactics.
I'm wondering what the exact role of light tanks would be in a U.S. recon squadron? My impression is the recon platoons with their jeeps and M8 Greyhound armored cars would do the recon work.

The light tanks and M8 self propelled 75mm pack howitzer would hang back, and provide a heavier punch when the recon units got in trouble.

And the recon units where expected to do some fighting. For example when :

Screening enemy forces.

Anti-recon work.

Economy of force, where armored cavalry would cover a relative large defensive area to free up other units for offensive action.

For all these type missions more fire power is very helpful.
Sponsored Links