View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 16, 12:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
An article I just found about a woman who raises Morgan horses in North Hero. Her name is Sherry Siebenaler. The article is from "The Herald", on February 16, 2012.

http://www.ourherald.com/news/2012-0...Vermonts_.html

excerpt

Her parents started dairying in the 1960s in North Hero and she helped out with her brother and sister raising chickens, Shetland ponies, and goats. “I grew up on the farm, so it was always in my blood,” she says.

Selling the Farm

But in the late 1970s, the farm busi*ness started to go south. Walking into the clean, long Quonset-roofed barn, her voice takes on a hint of bitterness as she points to the two concrete bases where blue silos once stood. The cost of building them helped squeeze the farm out of business, she says.

“When the place went through bank*ruptcy, I watched how it literally tore the family apart,” she says. “I told my mother I’d like to try and save it, and she told me I couldn’t do it, because I was a woman, and that gave me the kick in the butt to do it.”

It must have been a heck of a kick. Working a second job driving a bus in Burlington, which she does to this day, she saved and bought back 40 acres and a “rickety mobile home.”

Then she bought the remaining acres, no small feat in this pastoral summer tourist idyll, where tiny house parcels litter what were once farm fields, reflecting the ascendance of lake recreation over agriculture. Her parents jokingly – and admiringly as well – now call her the “land baron.”

“My mother is totally blown away,” she says.

Getting back the family farm, whose spacious fields are ringed by small cot*tages and homes, gave her a place to raise her Morgans (she has 16 now.) But that was only a first step.

Her Own Path

Giving up an apprenticeship at the University of Vermont Morgan Horse farm in Weybridge, she forged her own educational path and a career track that reflects her passion for preserving vanishing heritage bloodlines.

Today, vets come to her to learn about “flushing embryos,” “vitrifying tanks” and “semen straws” in liquid ni*trogen storage.

“My goal in life – not that anybody else will ever care – is to preserve the original Morgan horse like they used to be,” she says.

A Morgan Obsession

Vermont’s famed horse evolved in three bloodlines, whose story Siebena*ler can relate at length, involving the government and Lippitt lines and one tied to horseman J.C. Brunk. The long and short of it – and size plays a big role in her genetic interest – was that she could not “find the Morgan horse I grew up with.”

That would be a well-built horse smaller of stature, very people-orient*ed, one you can “work ‘em all day, drive ‘em all day, then take them to the horse show… they don’t care,” she says.

That’s what she has now in the hand*some black stallion and bays and chest*nut horses that roam the paddocks and training ring at Morgan Hill Farm, calmly looking on in their shaggy win*ter coats as she goes by.

Her genetic interests also brought her to breeding the stocky AKC Eng*lish Labs. They’re smaller and more mellow than their American cousins – she jokingly calls them “Lapadors” be*cause they think they’re small enough to crawl on your lap.

Pups from her litters are always spoken for.

--------------------------------------------------

Morgan Hill Farm's website.

http://www.stallionstation.com/scmorgans/

Last edited by lakechampainer; 13 Aug 16 at 12:31..
Sponsored Links