View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 16, 20:25
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Re for example thumbnail #1 on post 6, which shows my great-grandfather with a two horse team pulling an implement of some type. Maybe a plow, which is what I thought originally, but not sure after researching old pictures. Not a hay rake, wheels here are to small. Maybe the device here is to make furrows - small trenches for seeds for the vegetable garden. My best guess is the picture is from about 1930. (My great-grandfather would have been 64).

Regarding the horses, they look too sturdy to me to be Morgan horses, based upon comparing them to images on the internet. However, multiple sources refer to Morgan horses as being the workhouses on Vermont farms in the early 20th century.

Anyway, interesting pictures from this link from early 20th century, from campsilos.org. Pictures from Iowa apparently.

http://www.campsilos.org/excursions/hc/three/s1d.htm

excerpt

At the turn of the century horses were the most important animals on the farm. They provided the power that pulled most of the heavy farm machinery. Plows, corn pickers, hay rakes, wagons, buggies-they pulled them all. Usually horses worked in teams of two. Farmers often gave them names like King and Queen or Old Bob and Ladybug. The seasons controlled the farm work. There were certain jobs that had to be done in each season.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 12 Aug 16 at 21:22..