View Single Post
Old 06 Oct 17, 04:27
General of the Forums
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700] Johan Banér is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
Because Russians are copycat suckers and will copy everything the Americans do. This has certain advantages, like planting fake ideas hoping that Moscow will emulate them. Like "Star Wars" under President Reagan. Pure fantasy, impossible, the technology didn't exist and it was not possible to create it. But Moscow spent billions of rubles trying to create the Soviet version of Star Wars. And we thank them for helping to bankrupt their country.
Really, I think that overestimates the duplicity of the Americans, and the stupidity of the Soviets.

Star Wars might have given them the heebie-jeebies, but I've yet to see a credible exposition of how specifically that, rather than the general impossibility of the Soviet economy and military spending overall, which spelled the demise of the USSR.

Greater error on the Soviet part seems to have been to declare personal computers a "fad" back in the day, only to realize another and new kind of "gap" was opening to the west rather too late.

The Russian preoccupation with all things American is palpable of course. But I've yet to see evidence that the Americans are skillful and conscious enough to actively exploit that. Except the Russians also seem inclined to see Americans in every bush, and so lend credence to stories of US omnipotence. Makes their defense against it, whatever that might be, justifiable in their own eyes.
Sponsored Links