View Single Post
Old 05 Oct 17, 23:01
Major General
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Banér View Post
What the OP seems to be looking for re the French in WWI is the "2ème Bureau":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuxième_Bureau

Not sure how much further you can get on that in English. Fair amount of stuff in French I recon? The French were particularly good at cryptography I gather.
Not much on the 2eme Bureau in English around here I'm afraid. Everything is anglo-centric, which I'm still interested in, but it would be nice to expand the knowledge a little more on the French side of things. I'm somewhat surprised on how little there is on web.

Interesting to note from your link even though not WW1 related. Now admittedly I'm not well read up on the subject but what I have read on the subject usually involved more of the Poles activity re pre-war engima and this is the first I've of the French's involvement...

Quote:
"Prior to World War II, a Deuxième Bureau agent codenamed 'Rex' made contact with Hans-Thilo Schmidt, a German cipher clerk, in the Grand Hotel of the Belgian town of Verviers. Schmidt, who worked at Defence Ministry Cipher Office in Berlin, sold the French the manuals explaining how to operate the top secret Enigma cipher machine being used by the German Army. Schmidt ultimately provided all the information necessary to crack the complex ciphers, which would play a key role in the Allied victory."