View Single Post
Old 03 Oct 17, 15:48
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Yes guys, wargames have always been around for as long as there have been wars, and computers allow us to take it to a whole new level whether it's land, air or sea warfare..

“Wargaming allows you to try out tactics and not worry about having to swim for it”– Sir John “Sandy” Woodward, Admiral (Ret) RN (Commanded the British Falklands War Task Force)
http://www.h3milsim.net/

For example, even 18 years old Fleet Command with it's not-so-hot 3D graphics still lets us to get onto the battlefield inside our monitor like 2D games never can.
Here's a screenshot from it, I'm currently creating scenarios where I take on the Chinese navy. I've added text labels to this destroyer to show how we can examine vessels from every angle and inspect their weaponry and firing arcs etc in a way that's harder to do from printed diagrams and photos-

Below: me holding a few Fleet Command data charts which I've compiled for every vessel in the game covering vital info like weapon and radar ranges etc to help me devise devilishly cruel tactics to defeat whatever the enemy throws at me.
(My motto for all wargames and which I try to drum into my recruits is- "Fight with your brain first and your weapons second")
The editor is very good and a dream to use, for example you can give the enemy several different ships and assign a random location and a probability of inclusion factor that makes every game guaranteed to be fresh and different as a great prophet once said- "Yer never know what yer gonna get"..

"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would hurt me"- Archilocus (Greek mercenary) 650 BC

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 04 Oct 17 at 11:09..