View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 17, 20:37
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike:- Games like the Harpoon series and CMANO are played only on a map screen, but most newcomers to naval gaming are going to want games which provide both a map screen AND a 3D screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
I cannot totally agree with you regarding the need for 3D graphics,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyhighway View Post
after a while those scenes are boring and pedestrian..
In the stone age before home computers came along, we board wargamers (including me) wished we could somehow be there in the thick of the battle enjoying the exciting sights and sounds that make war such fun, and the arrival of computers with their 3D graphics enabled us to do just that..
Games like Harpoon and CMANO are played purely on a radar screen full of blips and stuff with no 3D graphics at all, and although that appeals to hardcore naval buffs, many people find it just plain boring.
At the moment my favourite naval game is dear old Fleet Command first released 18 years ago, it has both a radar map AND adequate 3D graphics plus great sound effects, here are three screenshots from it, sorry if they seem a bit blurry, they're JPEG stills from FRAPS video, maybe I should have tried PNG format instead-

1- This is how I prefer to play it, with large size 3D screen and small size radar screen-

2- but at the touch of a key you can reverse the sizes like this to get a large radar screen and small 3D screen, it's a matter of preference-

3- And at the touch of another key you can expand the 3D to fullscreen like this-

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 30 Sep 17 at 20:52..