View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 17, 12:01
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
Looks like this thread is getting some good intel gathered. Thank you gents

A couple of the books are available through the intra-library loan system. The book "Haig's Intelligence by Jim Beach" piqued my interest until I saw how much it would be to order...>$100.00 !!! Too rich for this man's blood, the other books should suffice.

I did read the reviews on Haig's Intelligence and it seemed to cover one of the aspects of this that I'm interested in and that is the relationship between Haig and his Chief of Intelligence John Charteris. The very first book I read on Haig was that by James Marshall-Cornwall who served on Charteris' staff. JM-C claimed that Charteris provided overly optimistic assessments stating the Germans were on the verge of collapse which would explain Haig's continuing on with his big pushes of 1916-17 well beyond the point of diminishing returns. This is the view I have held since.

The "Haig's Intelligence" reviews seem to indicate that the book's conclusion was that they shared the same viewpoint and Haig would have continued on regardless in those campaigns. This is supported by the fact that in 1918, after Charteris was let go and the assessments now became less optimistic Haig was still determined to go for the big breakthrough (and in 1918 he would finally be right about it).

My pet theory is this relationship would also have affected David Lloyd-George's opinions on Haig. George Macdonough was the Director of Intelligence in London, was much less optimistic in his reports and would have the ear of DL-G. During the 1916-17 timeframe DL-G must have looked at what Macdonough was saying compared to what he was getting from Haig/Charteris and comparing it to what they were achieving on the battle field. No wonder why DL-G was losing faith in Haig.
Looking in Bookfinder Amazon UK can offer an acceptable quality 2nd hand copy for under 13.00 and new ones are available at about 25.00
I think you would get a more balanced view from Gary Sheffield's book on Haig