View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 17, 07:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape2Victory View Post
Iain Banks Culture series.

The originals were published in the late eighties through the nineties and if you pick up one of these copies the cover artwork might put you off as it looks dated Sci-Fi. Far from it. Given when he was writing, the futurology is superb, including an imaging of how AI, robotics, nanotechnology and gene splicing might play out. A believable future universe is created with storylines usually based around a symbolic relationship between humans and machines - the Culture. The story arc is usually focused on a central character on a specific mission for the Culture. I find these engrossing storylines. There are about 7 or 8 books in the series and I am half way though. I heartedly commend them to you!
Excellent series! I read 4 of them back in the day and remember liking them a lot.

Consider Phlebas, The Player Of Games, Use Of Weapons and Excession were the ones I read. I had no idea that there were more.